AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one bad pixel on my new panasonic 50px80u that I bought from Sears last week. When on a white screen, or flesh tone, the pixel is blue. Reds flicker black. Blacks, greens and blue are really no problem.

Has anyone with this model had any bad pixels? Could this mean a string of pixels could go out in the future? Should i try to exchange this set or am i just being too picky? Also, i have only a couple days to decide if I should purchase Sear's extended warranty for $350. Sounds like a rip off to me.

I posted a coupe pics from the same frame of Termanotor 2. The bad pixel is on that guy's nose.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Dead pixels are not covered under warranty by any manufacturer. In their manual they talk about dead pixels being part of the technology.

·
Registered
379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants /forum/post/14215736

Dead pixels are not covered under warranty by any manufacturer. In their manual they talk about dead pixels being part of the technology.

I'm not sure if that is true..but it's moot since he bought it last week. He can just return or exchange it.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
I bought a 46PX80U at Sears a couple weeks ago.

I can't find any bad pixels looking at it with full screen white and other color test patterns from the burn-in DVD.

The Sears 3 year warranty is way overpriced and starts right away instead of after the first year which is already covered by Panasonic.

I'm considering the much lower cost CPS or Mack extended warranties from online dealers. They cover 3 years AFTER the first year which is covered by the manufacturer and are 1/4 the cost and they appear to offer everything (maybe more) than the Sears warranty does too.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikinguy /forum/post/14215986

I'm not sure if that is true..but it's moot since he bought it last week. He can just return or exchange it.

It is true. Check it out on the warranty for your set. There is a minimum threshold for dead pixels within a certain area on the screen that must be met before they consider it a defect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have come across panasonic's dead pixel per zone threshold thing on their website. Although I can't remember the exact numbers. My set would definately not qualify as being defective.

That being said, I beleive I would be able to exchange it out if I pressed Sears, but i'll have to decide if the hassel of moving sets and the risk of getting another imperfect set is worth it to me. I think I have 30 or 60 days from date of purchase to decide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick responses. I can see the pixel at a distance of 6 feet, but not at my viewing distant of 10 feet. I just keep looking for it because i know it's there.

BTW, I did buy the 50px80u with the Sears 'Gold Mastercard', which I beleive also extends it's 1 year manufacturer warranty by an extra year.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If it is any consolation to the OP, I have a 50" panny as well and have a red stuck pixel that is visible on a white background from 5 feet away. I am not bothered from my normal viewing distance because even on a pure white screen from > 8 ft away, no one can see it.

In my personal opinion I would not return unless you can see it from normal viewing distance at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advise dyeah, and everyone else.. I'm going to keep my set.

I've had the chance to enjoy a couple of movies now, and everything looks fabulous at my viewing distance. I feel silly about having worried about a single little bad pixel.

I'm also happy with my newly aquired toshiba a30. It makes my standard dvd's look great on the 50" panny. Does anyony know if it would be better to send 1080/60p or 1080/24p from the a30 to the 50px80u? I've tried both settings and really can't see a difference between the two.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts