AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to use a different color wheel or something else to eliminate the rainbow effect on 1 chip DLP's? I woul definitely buy a DLP if not for the rainbows that really bother me.

·
Registered
845 Posts
There is a new type of color wheel in the works. I don't think it is that simple just replacing it. You'll also have to change the timing of the DLP chip and/or the RPM of the new wheel.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not wanting to replace the color wheel in an existing set, just wanting to know about upcoming models with the new wheel. Thanks for the info, though. Any idea when this will show up in an RPTV and will it eliminate the rainbow problem?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
A bunch of scientists somewhere recently were able to slow down light to a few miles per hour by shining it through some sodium gas concoction.

I wonder if they could produce an optical component which could "smear" a pixel's light stream over a few milliseconds. Something like this could blend the output of one color wheel segment with the next and next and so forth (logarithmically).

In fact, at the museam of science in boston (this is like 10 years ago) they had some wacky window which would do something similar; you'd sit in front and look at someone across from you, then they'd get up and leave and their image would still be in the glass (and vice versa).

So anyway, someone really ought to invent this.

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Jokes aside, it's hard to eliminate the rainbows (for those that see them) when it's one chip and a wheel spinning around. What's the theoretical basis for 'eliminating' them?

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The new SCR wheel is more about light recapture than rainbow elimination. In fact, it may worsen rainbow perception for some.

Faster wheels would mitigate rainbows further and those might be in the offing at some point.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What ever happened to the Archimedes wheel?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Quote:
What ever happened to the Archimedes wheel?
I'm still holding out for a microsecond-switchable, trichromic light source...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat
I'm still holding out for a microsecond-switchable, trichromic light source...
Sure. I don't understand what the problem was with LEDs. Apparently they considered and discounted them.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The SCR wheel is the Archimedes wheel.

LEDs today do not have enough light output. As Guy Kuo points out, combining the light from many is not a practical option due to the issue of entendue.

The DMD is a kludge... An incredibly "elegant kludge", but a kludge nevertheless.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.