AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the plunge yesterday and bought a new Hitachi 51SWX20B from a reputable local dealer. It's now installed in our house and has been switched on 3-4 times so far, with total usage of less than an hour (the 1st time was c.40 mins for set-up etc.).

The one issue I'm concerned about is that so far when I've turned it on, the colors are initially skewed. E.g. the very 1st time there was a very obvious blue hue to everything, and the 2nd time there was a distinct green hue. Both times the hue disappeared and the colors seemed to be fine after 2-3 minutes.

Is this something anyone else has encountered? Maybe it's just the tubes self-adjusting, but this is my 1st projection unit so I'm a little paranoid. The unit was only manufactured earlier this month so I don't want to be stuck with a lemon...Any suggestions/advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I just received my 51swx20b this past weekend, and this morning when i turned it on the convergence was off quite a bit, it was right on last night however. After 30 minutes i hit the magic focus and it was pretty good after that.

Is it normal to see a shift in convergence as the set breaks in? The set has about 20-30 hrs on it, and has been set up with AVIA.

Settings are as follows:

Contrast 43

Brightness 48

Color 25

Tint middle

Sharpness 35 (anything less looks blurry...convergence issue?)

All other settings off

DVDs look great, slight outline on letters however. Is this a convergence issue as well? Directv is pretty crappy, OTA analog looks better. Im sitting about 7 ft from the set and when i sit off center it looks much better. Just need to move back i guess.

Thanks t everyone on this forum, it has been a great help in choosing and setting up my new TV.

-jamie

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesgf

Contrast 43

Brightness 48

Color 25

Tint middle

Sharpness 35 (anything less looks blurry...convergence issue?)

All other settings off...

Although most people with the new Hitachi's seem to report leaving their sharpness at or near zero, mine is at 30 (I don't get any line bend and I don't seem to have any negative effects with the sharpness test pattern on VE to my untrained eye throughout the whole adjustment range). Are you new to RPTV? I am and I think the "blurriness" is something I am having to get used to. I will be following the focus threads, but I don't think it is something I'm going to be willing to address myself.

Also, I set my color considerably higher than what you have (I realize all sets are different). Have you read the red-push thread? It helped me with my set. Yours may be fine for your tastes as is.

Rich

·
Registered
231 Posts
RichUF-

This is my first RPTV, im still getting used to it. DVDs like monsters inc and ice age look outstanding. I run in sports mode and let my progressive player do the 3:2 pulldown. Directv will take some time to get used to. I still have to do the red push tweak, i wasnt sure if i should let the set break in before doing it.

How long did you wait to fix the red push?

thanks

-jamie

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesgf
RichUF-

This is my first RPTV, im still getting used to it. DVDs like monsters inc and ice age look outstanding. I run in sports mode and let my progressive player do the 3:2 pulldown. Directv will take some time to get used to. I still have to do the red push tweak, i wasnt sure if i should let the set break in before doing it.

How long did you wait to fix the red push?

thanks

-jamie
About a day and a half :eek: :)

This is my first RPTV, too. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to directv on this set, but oh well maybe it'll cut out some of the brainless trash I watch. I'm an amateur, so I can't intelligently speak to break-in and the red push issue. I will say that I don't think it will hurt anything to do it before the alleged break-in (if you choose to risk going into the SM). It can always be adjusted later I would think. All I know is that it made my picture more pleasing and easier to adjust using Video Essentials.

Rich

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe ill adjust the red push tonight and see how it looks.

Too bad directv doesnt look better. Cable here in Madison WI is even worse, it looked bad on my 32" JVC.

My PS2 with component cables looks great on this set however.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
I got my 57 inch on Sunday and did the red push fix within 15 minutes of setting up the set. The best test for red push is to use the yellow tie and red shirt scene from S&V calibration disk. Before the tweak, the red was overpowering and "unfocused". After the tweak, no red bleed anywere and it really isn't that hard to do.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I did the red push fix last night and it dramatically improved my picture quality. I changed the settings for both '4' (480i) and 'F' (480p). I have my DVD player connected via components on input 1, PS2 on input 2 via components, and my Directv via s-video on input 3. I noticed no change on Ant A/B and s-video until i changed '4'.

The picture is much clearer and directv is very good now. Color depth and saturation are much improved, flesh tones are natural now.

My settings from AVIA after the red push fix are:

Contrast 35

Brightness 41

Color 45

tint middle

sharpness 33

Color temp standard

All auto settings off

-jamie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.