AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Falling right at my budget of 800 USD is either:

1. YAMAHA RX-V567 with a Mirage MX 5.1 speaker set.

or

2. Onkyo TX SR608 with a Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set

Read the Onkyo has video processing problems but the Yamaha is short on HDMI ports and some other goodies. So I guess the speakers will make the decision here.

For movie watching and games. Mid sized American living room.

I know these things are mainly subjective, but maybe someone has a point or 2 about these combos I should consider.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I'd go with Mirage b/c with tiny speakers I think omnipolar sound works a little better in a mid-large room, also I think it's cool, and if I had to have tiny speakers I'd at least want something interesting from them.
Energy might be better for the directional cues in games but I dunno 'cause I'm not a gamer.

They're both good as far as tiny sub/sats go, I suspect they're both a little small for your room, but at least you're getting a real receiver for if/when you upgrade.

If you consider yourself likely to upgrade, I think it would be easier to do so in stages with the Energy system.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Find a used Onkyo 606 for about 200$ then keep an eye out for a great set of speakers/sub with the other $600. You will be much happier in the end than buying this mass-market combo stuff new.

Those speakers you mentioned are great in their own way but..... you can do MUCH better for the money just keeping an open eye and putting in just a little time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TellyTally /forum/post/19589859

Find a used Onkyo 606 for about 200$ then keep an eye out for a great set of speakers/sub with the other $600. You will be much happier in the end than buying this mass-market combo stuff new.

Those speakers you mentioned are great in their own way but..... you can do MUCH better for the money just keeping an open eye and putting in just a little time.

Thing is I want a 2010 receiver and I generally don't buy anything used or refirbed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19589721

Or the Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 and the Denon 1611?
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Or the KEF 1005, ipod dock and Denon 1611
http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.asp...ES1611-11-1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19589620

Option 3....

Denon AVR-1611 with Energy Takes Classic 5.1

If i would go with the Denon it would be the 1911, but neither have enough total digital video ports

But thanks for the 6ave rec. Never seen that site.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19589720

I'd go with Mirage b/c with tiny speakers I think omnipolar sound works a little better in a mid-large room, also I think it's cool, and if I had to have tiny speakers I'd at least want something interesting from them.

Yes Yes, leaning toward this set. Something about the mirage is very sleek. Was just trying to figure out if the yammy 557 was enough for me when the better 667 is nearly the same price in a combo with Polk lower priced speakers.

The omnipolar technology, are there any gotchas? You cant wall mount them or anything?

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBronze /forum/post/19590748

If i would go with the Denon it would be the 1911, but neither have enough total digital video ports

But thanks for the 6ave rec. Never seen that site.

How many total digital video ports do you need?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19591057

How many total digital video ports do you need?

ps3, xbox, fios settop, pc, laptop (front panel) and a possibly a dedicated Blu-Ray player later. That's 6. Denons in this price point only have 5.

Ehh, i guess you could always plug in and plug out but doesn't seem to have a overwhelming reason to go with a kit with less ports.

**Your yammy + polk combo is looking tempting as they get stellar reviews for their size and the 6 series yammy actually has OSD overlay which the 5 doesn't.

Would just need a subwoof rec.

Polk PSW10????

Or might that be a bit underpowered

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saluki /forum/post/19591261

Did you also see this Mirage MX 5.1 bundle deal at Vann's?

Grrr. that pio was one step below the 1020 i had my eye on for weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19592215

Get something better than a Polk PSW10, if you have a low budget the BIC V1020 would be better than the Polk.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-430

Whats your budget for a subwoofer?

Would go max 3 bills. Saw the Polk PSW111 for that and even less on ebay (2). Would like to keep the kit the same make if possible. And "compact".

**By the way, where the hell is the thanks button around here??**

·
Registered
29,113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoBronze /forum/post/19592240

Grrr. that pio was one step below the 1020 i had my eye on for weeks.

Would go max 3 bills. Saw the Polk PSW111 for that and even less on ebay (2). Would like to keep the kit the same make if possible. And "compact".

**By the way, where the hell is the thanks button around here??**

Sub brand does not need to match your other speakers. Polk subs aren't that great and you'd be better off buying one from a dedicated subwoofer manufacturer.

If you're looking for something compact check out the Emotiva sub10. Currently on sale for $249 shipped. Size is 12.5"H x 12.5"W x 13.5"D
http://emotiva.com/ultra_sub10.shtm

·
Registered
29,113 Posts
You wont get nearly the low frequency response from the PSW111 as you would the Sub10. Polk only goes down to 38hz, Emotiva goes down to 25hz.

That's a pretty signficant difference.

·
Registered
19,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/19593078

you wont get nearly the low frequency response from the psw111 as you would the sub10. Polk only goes down to 38hz, emotiva goes down to 25hz.

That's a pretty signficant difference.

+1

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Going to pull the trigger on the yammy 687/Polk rm75 newegg combo.

The emotiva sub looks like a real steal!! Limited feedback, but great nonetheless.

Wondering though if this is too "enthusiast" brand for my needs. Fearful of having to "tune" this thing all the time. I'm in an apartment one and two not really looking for explosive bass, more of the subtle smooth warm kind of bass.

over-thinking?

**also, any real diff bet a down fire or front fire sub for HT use? Kit not really for music use much**

1 - 20 of 35 Posts