AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I found myself in a situation I didnt think I would find myself in. I can get a killer deal on either (2) F112's or (1) F212 from a local dealer (go figure..
). Their discounts put them both within my reach and percentage wise, they are similarly, so one deal is not really better than the other.

So now I have to decide with of these options to go for..

The F212 is alot heavier and would not even out the room modes like a pair would but it does have newer HO drivers.. I guess what I am looking for is if someone can give information/opinions as to why one choice might be

clearly better than the other? Any help and insight is appreciated.

msmith_JL , your input would be greatly appreciated as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
These are from JL's website:

F212

20 - 97 Hz (±1.5dB)

-3 dB at 19 Hz / 110 Hz

-10 dB at 15 Hz / 157 Hz
F112

21 - 119 Hz (±1.5dB)

-3 dB at 19 Hz / 150 Hz

-10 dB at 17 Hz / 167 Hz

Based on these numbers, the F112 can reproduce more of the uppper midbass range.. This is a definite plus for the smaller F112

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
what are your mains ?

do you need your subs to play that high ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They will be paired with Paradigms Studios v4 - 100's (x2), CC690 (x1), ADP590's (x2) using a denon 3808ci (for the moment) as a receiver..

Sub yet to be aquired.

The speakers sound phenominal, however, i find myself desiring alot from the lower octaves. I know the 3808 can't adequately power the 100's, 690 but I believe the money would be better spent on subs prior to a new amp where it will immediately make a difference.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would choose two f112s as well, much greater flexability. How about auditioning both subs in your room, then make a decision?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
dual F212's would give you total peace of mind

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrzVpr /forum/post/15537545

They will be paired with Paradigms Studios v4 - 100's (x2), CC690 (x1), ADP590's (x2) using a denon 3808ci (for the moment) as a receiver..

Sub yet to be aquired.

The speakers sound phenominal, however, i find myself desiring alot from the lower octaves. I know the 3808 can't adequately power the 100's, 690 but I believe the money would be better spent on subs prior to a new amp where it will immediately make a difference.

the 100s have a response of ±2 dB from 44 Hz - 22 kHz

the cc690 ±2 dB from 53 Hz - 20 kHz

the ad590's ±2 dB from 85 - 20 kHz

i don't think you need to worry about running into the upper limits of either the F212 or the F112

the F212 is promising better sound quality with less distortion over the F112's drivers (JL's words)

dual F112's would probably give you a smoother bass response

i'd go for the F212 cuz it's looks so cool

then you could save up for a 2nd one

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
TrzVpr.... What is your room size?

Maybe you could post a pic of your layout.

The F112's are no slouches in SPL and SQ and would offer better flexibility with a more seamless all around room response. Plus down the line if you wanted to add a second sub to the F212 it wouldn't be so difficult financially down the line...

In fact you could do Quad stacked F112's for close to the money a single 212...

Now were talking... !!!!!!

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
from a JL rep:

The f212 is a step up from the f113 or from a pair of stacked f112s. We have developed this in part as a response to the many consumers who want something more than 1- f113 or even 2-f112 per side. Many consumers have a Gotham budget but not a dual Gotham budget and I urge people to use subs in pairs so a pair of f212s will fill that requirement beautifully. At $6k, the f212 will fill a performance and price gap between the f113 at $3,500.- and the Gotham at $11,000.- .

A significant element in the f212 is the special 12W7 we are using. Our Chief Design Engineer and CEO Lucio Proni created the original W7 driver and all that have followed. He has designed these drivers to reflect the latest advancements he has developed on that platform and the performance is stunning (I have a pair of f212s playing in my office. The important thing I can tell you is that this is not a pair of f112 stacked in one enclosure, it steps it up another notch in fidelity.

-Is this an alternative to a Gotham? No.

-Are 2-f212s an alternative to a single Gotham (from a performance perspective)? Yes. If you have $12k to spend and were considering a single Gotham, you would get better sound from a pair of f212s. Aesthetically however, you will never see a Fathom rival the appearance of a Gotham. The Gotham remains the ultimate subwoofer.

As for an f213, I do not believe that this will ever be a product as it really is best conveyed as a Gotham.

A pair of f212s is a step-up from a pair of f113s and even a step up from four f112s. The f212 is not something that represents a replacement for those other f112s or f113s, their performance or price-point which I believe is also important to note. It is the evolution of the line just as the f110 will be as we move smaller too. The f110 will ship in mid June also.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not taking my current room into consideration. I currently rent with a plan to purchase in the near future so the room size will definitely change..

I am trying to make the most future proof decision I can at the moment given that I might not be able to make an HT purchase for a while after this one...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks otk,

I am currently leaning towards dual f112's. Better room response, easy of placement, and a better freq response..

If I could do dual F212's, I would but the key is duals are probably better than a single sub. Currently, I dont see a F212 having a clear advantage over dual F112's..

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Tuff choice I would do dual 112 over one 212. Better for filling the room, bigger sweet spot. I just got 2) 113 I had the same choice a gothem or 2 113, glad I did the 113 they are just more manageable and enought base, I am really impressed with these subs, best I have ever heard. I also wouldn't worry about the upper end you don't want to be using that anyhow to much unless you have to, what I have found is the first order refecttion off the floor kills it and makes that sound a bit tinney in that upper range. Now with a 212 since that second woofer is higher it may be better but still.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ok, if an f212 is considered a better choice than dual f112, how would it compare with dual f113?

The reason alone to select dual f113 for me, would be the power requirements on a single outlet of a bigger 212 (not to mention the 213). But how about SQ?

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Well if you read JL audio 2 f113 are still better than a 212. You have to keep in mind they are telling you a single 212 is better than a pair of 112 because the drivers are a tad updated etc... But they are not at all looking at room acustics. if you use a single 212 and it doesn't play well with the room you need another, the advantage to using two single subs is that you can move them around, stack them, etc to fit the room better and fill it. If you only have one location your sub is going in like a cornor and that is it no room for another than a 212 is a better choice than a stacked pair of 112.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts