AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do I find lumber that is actually 1" thick for furring strips?.

My insulsheild stuff is exactly 1" thick and the Home Depot Dude gave me one of those looks again when I ask for 1" lumber.

Scott

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Hi Scott,

You won't find 1" stock at Home Depot. Call around to your local supply lumberyards. I purchased 1" plywood and had them cut it down into 2" furring strips for me. They usually have a minimum cutting charge, but since the 1" plywood was about $50 per sheet they did the cutting at no extra charge for me.

Don

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Some Home Depot's do carry it.

It's called 5/4 lumber and is 1" thick.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Or buy good 2x4;s and find a buddy with a table saw.

Then you have three 1x1 1/2" furing strips from one 2x4

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can you get 5/4 board that is not pressure treated?

·
Registered
457 Posts
If you're going to be ripping sheets of plywood anyway, just use two layers of 1/2". Still alot of rip work, but I think you'll find it cheaper than 1" plywood.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I'm going to second the recommendation to use 1" plywood. Yes it's a bit expensive but you can make a lot of furring out of a 4x8 sheet, it's easy to cut strips exactly as wide as you need, it's stable (won't warp), is easy to work with (sand, screw, glue, etc.), holds staples well, and is just the right thickness. I found 1" plywood at a local lumberyard.

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
Scott,

There is an option at Lowe's that I found that ends up exactly 1" thick. It can be found in the trim section in the store. I can't remember the name of the stock, but it comes in 7' sections and is made for base molding. If you bring a tape measure with you in this section, you should find it. I think it is 5/4 that is milled to about 1 1/16" X 2" wide, which works fine for the TS+ installation. Expensive though... get ready to pay for convenience.

Good luck.

Steve.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How do you attach the 1" inch furring strips to the drywall?

Do you use a 2.5" screw to go through the strip & 5/8" & 1/2" drywall to get to the stud, or is there another method to attach the furring strips to the drywall.

·
Registered
838 Posts
 Here is my solution to the 1" plywood problem. View that picture, and then proceed to the next pictures by clicking on the bottom-right link.

A couple of the pieces did warp a bit once cut from the main sheet, but I just glued the warped pieces to each other in opposite orientations, and the result was almost perfect - straighter than my sheetrock in some areas. :)

- Chris

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just used what I had laying around. I had a couple 2x8x14's left from the floating ceiling... I just fired up the table saw and ripped them down to 1x's. Glue and screw them to the wall and you should be set. If you are worried about warping, use plywood as suggested.

Phil

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all.

All I could find was 1" (5/4 actually) x 6 which I had ripped to 2 1/2". Problem is it is presure treated...any problems with this?

:-(

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Typically pressure treated wood has a high moisture content and is prone to warping as it dries....Take a look around your neighborhood at decks and fences to see what I mean. That would be my concern :(

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I've been confused by these searches for true 1" lumber for a while. I used standard 1x3 (3/4" thick) and my fabric laid perfectly flat with the TS and 8oz poly batting.

Is it possible that TS+ wasn't really 1" thick and the new IS stuff is? I did my theater almost two years ago.

Or, is it just that I compressed my TS when I stapled it to the wall?

I guess I'm the real "dazed and confused", Scott...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can't get either TS or IS in Toronto, so i am using a similar product which is really 1" thick.

It is in a roll just like TS or IS.

Re warping...as long as I glue and screw to walls these boards should stay fairly straight.

I hope.

:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'll add here that it's probably wise to pre-drill some pilot holes in the 1x material just to be sure that you don't split the wood when nailing/screwing them into the wall.

Quote:
Originally posted by PCN
I just used what I had laying around. I had a couple 2x8x14's left from the floating ceiling... I just fired up the table saw and ripped them down to 1x's. Glue and screw them to the wall and you should be set. If you are worried about warping, use plywood as suggested.

Phil

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.