AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a PS3 in the near future but need to set it up to two different displays. We will play games on our "tv" and watch blu movies on the projector. Both the tv and projector have HDMI but I do not have a switching device and have other HDMI products. Would it be best to buy a 4x2 switcher from monoprice or can I run 720p over component with the PS3 and just split the output.

thanks

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
it was originally supposed to have two HDMI outputs (along with a built in 4 port hub) but that was changed by the next E3 showing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have had a lot of trouble with that 4X2 switcher from Monoprice. The "handshake" is so inconsistent, it can be several minutes of pushing the HDMI cord in and out of the switcher to get it to switch. Check the customer comments about the switcher on the Monoprice website. Others seem to have this problem. Like others have said also, you can switch the output in the menu setup. I find it quickest to just pop the HDMI cables from each display in and out of the PS3 and change the resolutution in the menu from 1080p to 1080i.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Dude 1 /forum/post/12938536

I have had a lot of trouble with that 4X2 switcher from Monoprice. The "handshake" is so inconsistent, it can be several minutes of pushing the HDMI cord in and out of the switcher to get it to switch. Check the customer comments about the switcher on the Monoprice website. Others seem to have this problem. Like others have said also, you can switch the output in the menu setup. I find it quickest to just pop the HDMI cables from each display in and out of the PS3 and change the resolutution in the menu from 1080p to 1080i.

That might be a bad idea, from what I understand taking HDMI cables in and out alot causes the ports to wear and break over time.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I saw a 2 to 1 HDMI cord at Bestbuy the other day. Its supposed to take two sources and input to 1 TV not sure how well it would work the other way around. Then again your TV and PJ are probably pretty far away from each other so I doubt it would work. Why wouldnt you just run HDMI to both again?

·
Registered
12,176 Posts
How is your audio setup? I ask because ideally you can get the most out of your system by having it setup this way:

Audio for both HDTVs:

PS3 (HDMI cable out)---> A/V Receiver (HDMI cable in) = uncompressed audio in movies and games

1080i Blu-ray Movies on HDTV #1:

PS3 (Component video out)---> HDTV #1 (Component video in)

1080P Games on HDTV #2:

PS3 (HDMI cable out)--->A/V Receiver (HDMI cable in)-->A/V Receiver (HDMI cable out)---> HDTV #2 (HDMI cable in)

So all you have to do to make this work is switch the video settings in the PS3 system menu every time you played a game (HDMI) or watched a movie (Component). Audio for both will be the highest quality since you won't have to switch that setting (always HDMI via the receiver).

You want 1080P from games because 1080i causes input lag as you play due to the conversion from interlaced to progressive. You also lose deep, richer colors and vibrancy in PS3 games by not being able to use Full RGB (HDMI-only feature).

Blu-ray movies don't need to worry about input lag, so 1080i is fine. I don't know if Full RGB affects movie playing though, however this is the best setup if HDMI switchers don't work out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
 This is all you need

This is a cheap solution for the problem you have, I have it hooked up now for my TV/PROJ

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, sorry it took me so long to get back. I ended up getting really busy today then we went to the Indianapolis Ice game (we won in OT)

Anyway. Currently, my HD A2 plugs directly into my Z3 projector via HDMI and then I run audio via toslink. My Onkyo does not have HDMI inputs and while that is a near future upgrade.. not this near.

All of my gear is in a converted closet in the back of the room. It has my projector and assorted electronics PLUS all of my HD DVD and SD DVD titles. Currently, my tv is just connected to our dish box, however, the dish box is not connected to the tv and I want it to be... I want everything connected. I want the dish box in the rack with everything else.

So, audio has to run via toslink or digital coax. I still have 2 or 3 toslink and 1 or two coax openings so that is not a concern. My biggest need is to be able to get the signal of the A2 and PS3 to the projector, the Dish and the PS3 to the tv. I am fine running dish over component so no big deal there.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Is there anyway to do this with a component cable?

My HDMI connection is no longer an option, so I need to go from my component out to two different displays (LCD and Projector). Would a regular component switcher work, but kind of backwards (instead of two sources to one display having one source to two displays)?

·
Registered
400 Posts
I have this exact setup. I have 58" Plasma for TV watching and a Front PJ for Movie and Game Play... both in the same room. I have all my HDMI sources hooked up to an Octava 5x2 HDMI Amplified Switch. It works like a charm. My PJ is hooked up on a 35 foot run without any issue.

Here's a link to there site. They also have a 1x2 switch if you don't need all te extra inputs, which I actually don't use anymore since I got my Onkyo 805. My old Yamaha had no HDMI inputs so that's why I originally went with the 5x2.

http://www.octavainc.com/HDMI%20swit...2_toslink.html

·
Registered
565 Posts
Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you guys feel the need to use two different displays for games and movies?

·
Registered
400 Posts

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you guys feel the need to use two different displays for games and movies?

Long Answer:

I prefer watching movies on my projector. It just has a different feel and you can't beat watching on a 100+" screen and since I don't have $80+K to buy that size of a Plasma, I have the PJ. I have the Plasma so I can watch TV. I don't burn out my bulb as quickly and I don't have to draw the curtains and darken the room during the day.

Short Answer:

Because I can.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban /forum/post/12944258

Long Answer:

I prefer watching movies on my projector. It just has a different feel and you can't beat watching on a 100+" screen and since I don't have $80+K to buy that size of a Plasma, I have the PJ. I have the Plasma so I can watch TV. I don't burn out my bulb as quickly and I don't have to draw the curtains and darken the room during the day.

Short Answer:

Because I can.

I will do some games sometimes on the projector but for the most part, I will do it on the tv and I will watch tv on the tv... and for some stuff I will watch tv on the projector.

Our deal is this, we are a blended family, I have 2 kids that are with us full time and she has 3 kids that are with us full time. It is WAY too expensive for us all to go out to a movie and Nikki and I just don't get to get out by ourselves very much so we try to keep the projector for movie nights and things like that PLUS I can't afford to change projector lamps that frequently.

My short answer: I would just rather do it that way.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/12939536

How is your audio setup? I ask because ideally you can get the most out of your system by having it setup this way:

Audio for both HDTVs:

PS3 (HDMI cable out)---> A/V Receiver (HDMI cable in) = uncompressed audio in movies and games

1080i Blu-ray Movies on HDTV #1:

PS3 (Component video out)---> HDTV #1 (Component video in)

1080P Games on HDTV #2:

PS3 (HDMI cable out)--->A/V Receiver (HDMI cable in)-->A/V Receiver (HDMI cable out)---> HDTV #2 (HDMI cable in)

So all you have to do to make this work is switch the video settings in the PS3 system menu every time you played a game (HDMI) or watched a movie (Component). Audio for both will be the highest quality since you won't have to switch that setting (always HDMI via the receiver).

You want 1080P from games because 1080i causes input lag as you play due to the conversion from interlaced to progressive. You also lose deep, richer colors and vibrancy in PS3 games by not being able to use Full RGB (HDMI-only feature).

Blu-ray movies don't need to worry about input lag, so 1080i is fine. I don't know if Full RGB affects movie playing though, however this is the best setup if HDMI switchers don't work out.

I don't think this works, or I'm doing something wrong. I was setting up my new PS3 this weekend and wanted to do pretty much exactly what you said above - run HDMI to the receiver for audio and for video over to the plasma, and run the component from the PS3's AV Multi Out to my projector which doesn't have HDMI.

However the PS3 wouldn't let me select any resolution higher than 480p when setting up the component connection when I was connected with HDMI at the same time.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I will just end up with some sort of HDMI switcher. My concern about running PS3 games and movies AND HD A2 over the same line is picture settings.. I really don't want have to change the image each time I change source.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts