AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some comments I have. I've had my Toshiba 42h82 for about a month now and have absolutley no complaints. (Other than I can't put my centre channel on top). I love it and I would never turn back to a 4:3 tv. I had it isf calibrated and it looks really good when dialed in. I recommend this tv to anyone looking for a smaller widescreen tv. Does anyone else have one and what do you think of it?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've also had mine for about a month. Very happy with the set. I agree with stretch modes like those available on the Toshiba sets I would never go back to a 4:3 set.

I have done some minor set up on my unit (not ISFed yet though) including a 65 point convergence and I am very happy with the image quality.

After I move in about a month I will have my set ISF calibrated and hook up HDTV through cable. The we'll really see what it can do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got mine yesterday. So far I am enjoying it, but haven't really had the chance to spend any time with it per se. I am going to really calibrate it tonight with a setup DVD. I am just glad to have a bigger TV than a 27"...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the previous model, 42H81, and love it.

I put a shelf on top for my center channel, a $10 plastic shelf made for a direct view set. When I got it home, I opted to use just the front half of the shelf and it works great.

I also replaced the protective screen with a piece of non-glare acrylic, and I like the improvement it made in reducing glare.

Also put an $8 GE fluorescent light behind the set to ease the eyes at night.

I really like this set!

Jan

·
Registered
44 Posts
You won't find much love for Toshiba on this forum but I do love my 50H82 nonetheless. Tweaked and tuned, not a better picture to be had when you have a good source.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I have the Toshiba 50HDX82. The set is great. Been watching HD through Comcast as of late and it's all good.

One thing though there's a bit of a red push on some of the scenes that should be black. I'm still trying to make arrangements to have a tech come by and look at it. It got to the point where it was very noticeable and then this week it seemed to have gotten better. Weird.

I'll watch it and then if it's really a bother I'll have em come in and check it out.

By the way my set is a 50HDX82.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by maximum360
.... a bit of a red push on some of the scenes that should be black....It got to the point where it was very noticeable and then this week it seemed to have gotten better. Weird.....
Max,

Don't get too excited yet. I have had my 57HDX82 since Xmas eve and I have gone thru 3 MAJOR "bumps" while this set settles in. Each one resulted in a noticably clearer and sharper picture while at the same time requiring a re-do on the color, bright and cont. I was dialed in with medium color temp, then had to go to cool and now I am at warm.

But it is a gorgeous set and given price and features I would buy the exact same unit again

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
4runner,

Thanks. I know what you mean. I've already used Video Essentials and Avia but then had to go back and tweak a few things to compensate for the color. I scaled back color to about 50 or so and then adjusted my tint (more green by a few points) and then everything is now set to cool. Warm never looked right to begin with. Medium was ok until this problem. With these changes things now seem to look decent. I've got to test out the DVD player and other sources as well though.

Well I do hope it gets better though without me needing to have a tech come check it out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was looking at the 42H82 as well, but have been put off by the recent talk of need for dvi and hdcp so now I'm looking at the 42HDX82, thouh it is almost 400 dollars more. I was wondering if any of you have been put off by the idea of lack a dvi or have you decided to just get the tv and if component inputs arent supported, just upgrade?

·
Registered
125 Posts
toshman wrote:

Quote:
You won't find much love for Toshiba on this forum
Yeah, I think the "upconversion" issue was over-inflated. To me it's totally a non-issue.

On the other hand, I'm more of a "color fidelity" nut than a "sharpness" nut, anyway, and Tosh seems to have the best color fidelity out of the box. Mits has red push, Sony has blue push, Hitachi has a weird green.... They can ALL have GREAT PICTURES with the proper tweaking, but I'd still give the color-fidelity-nod to Tosh.

Of course there are lots of variables to consider, including the DEAL, and different sets will appeal to different viewers. I do think Tosh got a bit of a raw deal over the up-conversion, though, and that's really no reason to strike it off one's list.

Jan

·
Registered
175 Posts
Question for the Tosh 42H82 owners, how far do you sit from this set for normal viewing?

I'm looking to pick one up soon, but the room is small, and 8 feet eyes-2-screen is what I'm looking at here. Too close? Too far? Just right? |-]

thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I sit about 7 feet from my 50HDX82. I thought it might have been too much at first that's why I considered getting the 42 incher instead. Boy I'm glad I didn't. Trust me, after a week it shrinks. Right now I think I could do the 57" or even the 65".:D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hehe, I'm sure I won't have a problem, but my SO get's motion sick, that's what I'm woried about really. |-]

Sounds like 42 should be a good compromise for now...

thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
338 Posts
My father is purchasing this TV next weekend. We are total newbies to Wide screen and would love some input for any thing we can do to tweak this tv once we get it.

I keep hearing everyone talk about Video Essentials and Avia. What is this and what does it do?

We were hung between the 42H82 and the Samsung 4215W. We chose the Toshiba because it seems to to panny mode better than the Samsung and teh Samsung doesn't come with a stand you have to purchase seperately for another $169.

So if you guys have any good links for me to read up on the next week please let me know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kantonburg,

The Avia and Video Essentials are DVDs for "tuning" your RPTV. Check out :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...roduct-details

Its a Do-It-Yourself. If you're happy with the results out of the box, good for you - you're lucky. Most of use would have to mess with it and "tweak it up a bit" to get the best picture. Chances are that may be all you have to do.

However, the best results are from professionals doing an "ISF Calibration". Check back a 1-2 weeks of posts and you'll see the topic arise a few times.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks Dave.

Isn't 1999 a bit old for current tv's or is that sufficient? I'm guess it has a lot of info for $37.99. I've seen it mentioned here a few times so I'm sure it's worth it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Why can't you put your center channel on top of the 42h82? Not deep enough or not flat? The two Best Buys nearest me don't have this set, and the one Best Buy where I've seen it had it way up high where I couldn't reach it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Todd76, the top of the set is very narrow, too narrow to put a center channel speaker, and possibly not substantial enough to support one of any significance.

My 42HDX82 was delivered Thursday. No HD, yet, but DVD performance is stunning. Ice Age was unvelievable.

IMHO 8 feet is the right distance for this TV. I'm a little closer to 9 feet, but still feel this is the right size. At CEDIA, this TV was right next to the 50", and most certainly had a superior picture. Possible the best picture of any TV in the Toshiba projection line up, except for the LCOS. Don't see how you guys can sit 7 ft from a 50" TV and still believe you are watching the best quality picture. The 50" looked soft with visible artifacts from that distance.

Mike K.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've noticed a bit of a shimmering effect on my screen, it flickers a little bit and you can notice it on darker scenes when watching dvd's. When I choose any of the video inputs it does it also,even when the dvd is not on. Maybeits just bad power or something, i'm not sure. Does anyone know what may cause this problem? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
The only problem I have is the red push in dark scenes. Beyond that everything's great. HD stuff looks excellent.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.