AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help, please, from people who've tried this out. I'm picking up my HD-100 tomorrow and am trying to decide between:

1.) Replacing my existing dish with the single 18x24-inch "duplex" dish that grabs both satellites. OR:

2.) Installing a second 18" dish to augment my existing dish.

I've heard complaints about the precision required to nail the setup on the single big-dish setup. Could someone who's tried this give me some feedback, and what are the exact aiming instructions if I'm using a conventional dish to add the HD bird? I believe the box assumes use of the big dish, and gives you the appropriate setup for that.

Thanks in advance,

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the two dish is the way to go. It is much easier to set up. It took me about 30 minutes to install and align the second dish. The one dish compromises at least a little bit of signal strength, and some folks have spent many hours trying to get it right.

I was able to find a 22 KHz switch for $19 on eBay which is how you connect your receiver and have it switch between the two dishes, or you can purchase a multiswitch for about $80-90 in most satellite stores.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I decided on the single dish setup. I am moving in 4-6 weeks and all I had to do was loosen the fasteners that affix the dish to the pole, remove it, and drop the new one in it's place.

I couldn't believe how easy this was. I made certain everything was plumb before mounting the new dish, and I was shocked at how quickly I had both satelites dialed in. My signal strength on both seems to average between 75-80 on all transponders.

Thanks for the input. When I move I think I'll go with two dishes to maximize signal strength.

Ray

------------------

FIGHT MPAA/SUPPORT EFF
http://www.eff.org/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.