AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in the middle of sheetrocking my room above my garage and im running the HDMI cable from the ceiling ( projector ) to the wall were reciever is. Do i need to run ( 2 ) hdmi cables or just one?

·
RETIRED theater builder
34,973 Posts
Best thing is to run a conduit so it doesn't matter. When I built my space I didn't so when the industry shifted from DVI to HDMI I had to cut a bunch of holes and I put in two HDMI, glad I did, I have since broken one. Be aware that in a couple of years the HDMI standard will likely change in response to 4K bandwidth and copy protection needs.

so if you can, run a conduit for the parts of the wall/ceiling you don't want to cut open.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
I ran two HDMI to my projector location AND a 2.5" conduit. I've never needed more than the first HDMI, but it's good piece of mind to have the empty conduit. :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Another vote for conduit. One school of thought is to install conduit, run your initial cables outside the conduit and leave the conduit empty for future cables. I say if you are going to install it, you might as well use it for your initial cables as well. I recently had an HDMI cable go bad and if it had been installed beside empty conduit, I would have had to abandon it in place. Since I bought it at Monoprice and they have a lifetime warranty on all cables, I was able to pull the bad cable out of the conduit, ship it off to them and get a free replacement. If it had been stuck in the wall, I would not have been able to get the free replacement.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I ran a 2" conduit with two HDMI cables. I have an old no-HDMI receiver so until I upgrade 2 cables should be plenty.

It was surprisingly easy to 'push' the cables through the conduit.. didn't need any special tools.. I plan to stay low-tech and just tape any new cables to existing and pull them out to replace when standards change.. and they will..

Good luck with your build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts