AVS Forum banner

1 or 2 hdmi cables to projector?

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  RiverSide 
#1 ·
So im in the middle of sheetrocking my room above my garage and im running the HDMI cable from the ceiling ( projector ) to the wall were reciever is. Do i need to run ( 2 ) hdmi cables or just one?

#2 ·
Best thing is to run a conduit so it doesn't matter. When I built my space I didn't so when the industry shifted from DVI to HDMI I had to cut a bunch of holes and I put in two HDMI, glad I did, I have since broken one. Be aware that in a couple of years the HDMI standard will likely change in response to 4K bandwidth and copy protection needs.

so if you can, run a conduit for the parts of the wall/ceiling you don't want to cut open.

#6 ·
Another vote for conduit. One school of thought is to install conduit, run your initial cables outside the conduit and leave the conduit empty for future cables. I say if you are going to install it, you might as well use it for your initial cables as well. I recently had an HDMI cable go bad and if it had been installed beside empty conduit, I would have had to abandon it in place. Since I bought it at Monoprice and they have a lifetime warranty on all cables, I was able to pull the bad cable out of the conduit, ship it off to them and get a free replacement. If it had been stuck in the wall, I would not have been able to get the free replacement.

#7 ·
I ran a 2" conduit with two HDMI cables. I have an old no-HDMI receiver so until I upgrade 2 cables should be plenty.

It was surprisingly easy to 'push' the cables through the conduit.. didn't need any special tools.. I plan to stay low-tech and just tape any new cables to existing and pull them out to replace when standards change.. and they will..

Good luck with your build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.