AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im in the middle of sheetrocking my room above my garage and im running the HDMI cable from the ceiling ( projector ) to the wall were reciever is. Do i need to run ( 2 ) hdmi cables or just one?

·
Registered
900 Posts
One HDMI cable and one orange conduit. Run HDMI outside of conduit. Save conduit for future use. E.g., when upgrading HDMI cable in the future for new HDMI specs.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I went with 2 HDMI cables but the 2nd one wasn't really needed. I just did it for a "just in case" kind of thing. If one goes bad its there already. But I also added a flex conduit run with pull string so I could of just fished one in later I suppose. But when it was said and done the cost of another 30' redmere cable wan't to much so I did 2.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I have broken more HDMI cables than I can count. The things are fragile. Please do run at least a conduit that is big enough to pull a replacement cable through.

Probably does not matter if you put your existing cable through the conduit or not but if you add a thin flexible wire or cord that is for pulling a new cable in you might want to make it double length and tie off the ends so it does not get lost and make sure all your bends are gradual so the connector can get through easily.

Might also want to avoid any right-angle connectors unless you can access the removable cover plate that is oriented at the 45 degree or you may have issues pulling a connector through.

·
Registered
19,110 Posts
I have broken more HDMI cables than I can count. The things are fragile. Please do run at least a conduit that is big enough to pull a replacement cable through.

Probably does not matter if you put your existing cable through the conduit or not but if you add a thin flexible wire or cord that is for pulling a new cable in you might want to make it double length and tie off the ends so it does not get lost and make sure all your bends are gradual so the connector can get through easily.

Might also want to avoid any right-angle connectors unless you can access the removable cover plate that is oriented at the 45 degree or you may have issues pulling a connector through.

Good advise. The conduit is more important than a 2nd HDMI cable. Who knows what new HDMI standard will appear in the future, making your current cable obsolete ! I'd certainly install a high speed Redmere 4K 18gbps cable at this point.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Hi Craig, I have these in my wall/celing now. Will I need to upgrade if down the road I go with a 4k projector? That won't be for a good 4 years probably seeing I just bought my projector this xmas. My guess is yes I'll need to. Looks like mine will do 4k but up to 24hz. Guessing by then better cable will be wanted. http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506&p_id=9430&seq=1&format=2&style=

I did install a smurf tube run to that location so pulling a new cable down the road won't be a problem. I'm not that up on my HDMI technologies.

Thanks in advance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts