AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to setup AV for a game room and a gym that are next to each other in the basement. Equipment is going to be in a media closet. I'm trying to find a solution so I am not duplicating equipment like receivers, BR players, STB's. Except for a flat panel tv in each room.

I looked at using a receiver with 2 hdmi-out, one for each room, and 2-zone audio out (1 for each room) with 1 STB, and 1BR player.

But then I realized, that even if only 1 tv is on at a time, both audio zones will be on and blasting.

This seems kind of silly, or I haven't found an AVR that can turn zones on and off, instead of simulatenously. I've seen some AVR's that when zone 2 is being used, only PART of zone 1 is off, like rear surround or somesuch nonsense.

Anyone have suggestions for this two room setup? Money IS an object

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it is a true multizone receiver you can control each zone seperatly. You could have DVD in one room and the TV in another room. You can turn one zone off if it's not in use. How much do you want to spend on a receiver???

·
Registered
10,873 Posts
Any receiver with "Zone 2" support will do what you want from an audio standpoint. Receivers with just the ability to attach two pairs of speakers - meaning "A" and "B" would cause the results you describe.

The difference in multizone support will be in the availability of an internal amplifier channel pair for Zone2 use (many 7.1 AVRs allow two channels to be re-assigned to Zone2 duty instead of the side-surrounds), and the ability to route digital signals (stuff coming in via HDMI or SPDIF) to Zone2. The latter issue can be resolved by running analog RCA cables in parallel. But the real limitation there is in the internally-generated sources like Pandora and Internet radio - make sure those function for Zone2 as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
To add to the mix, there is a big difference between being able to do something and being able to live with the solution. I have tried zone-2 solutions in the past and generally found them to be a PITA.

The zone 2 area usually has a significant downgrade, like stereo instead of DD5.1 or reduced resolution on video, plus sharing the BluRay is a serious shortcoming in usability. Although you can turn zone 2 on and off, it never seems to be strqaightforward, and it is even more difficult to turn off zone 1 while leaving zone 2 active.

I usually get discouraged quickly and find a spare receiver and player. Last year's receiver goes for a song on craigslist. BluRay players can be had for under $75.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts