AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older Mitsubishi 65" has only one DTV - RGBHV input along with 3 other standard 480p RGB inputs. I have my HTPC running a VGA breakout cable to the RGBHV input tying up the only DTV in on the TV. It's a 16' Better Cables breakout cable as are all my cables so if you are familiar with Better Cables, you know they provide a jar a Vaseline with every purchase of a foot or more... ;) SO I would like to still use the breakout cable IF possible.

Anyway...

I have an XBOX which has a growing number of 1080i titles I would like to take advantage of in addition to D-VHS, Dish Network and possibly one other device for expansion down the road. That's 3 devices I would like to use on my one DTV input so it's a no brainer to simply get a high bandwidth component switcher. But is there a switcher that will input one RGBHV signal from the HTPC and 3 standard RGB signals and output one standard RGB signal to my TV? I have to manually set my TV in the menus back and forth from RGBHV to RGB whenever I get desperate enough to hook up a different device other than the HTPC. I also have a Denon 3802 and my PS2 and Gamecube are using it's component video inputs so I can't use my receiver for any switching.

I don't understand the full functionality of some the RGBHV component video switchers and I saw a few that looked like they had potential at Digital Connection. Can anyone experienced in switchers shed some light on this for me? I don't mind spending upward of around $300 if that's what it takes.

As of right now, I have my HTPC and a Fushion 3D card. It can't properly display 1920x1080i which as I have been told here is normal. So it seems I am completely shut out of getting ANY kind of real high def if I intent to continue using a HTPC short of buying a whole new projection TV, which I am not willing to do at this time.

any help on this?

thanks

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uh... thanks but that's the same page where I saw the switchers and didn't know which one to get, thus asking for advice.

Maybe if someone could simply confirm to me that those switchers act as transcoders turning the RGBHV signal into a RGB signal so I can pump in any type of signal and get one standard one out. Do I need to have all 5 of the RGBHV cables hooked into the TV and have the TV set to RGBHV? A little more help would be nice??

·
Registered
318 Posts
Shawn

Those high end switchers from companies like extron, inline etc. are not transcoders, only switchers.

They do make devices that are transcoders and switchers though.

The holo3d card can function like a transcoder as well.

Most if not all the rgbhv switchers can switch component as well as rgbhv, you only use 3 bnc's for the component but you won't be able to input rgbhv and output component.

I hope that helps a little.

I use an extron 8 in 4 out crosspoint matrix switcher and use the holo3d to transcode component and s video to rgbhv. The matrixing function of the extron is a teriffic feature. I have 3 displays, projector, computer moniter and tv/plasma. I can have all three showing different sources or all three showing the same source or any combination I want.

Rick

·
Registered
826 Posts
 https://www.dcpuraty.com/store/Produ...ductCode=HDS4S

+ (if necessary)
https://www.dcpuraty.com/store/Produ...ctCode=KDVTCA3

Mostly, switchers != transcoders.

In any case, you don't need to transcode.

Usually, RGB is basically sync on green. That is , the HV get sent over the G cable.

If the TV's RGBHV port will accept an RGB signal, then the switch is all you would need.

Otherwise add a transcoder to the mix and use the TV's HD capable component port.

I.e: Plug the ouput of the transcoder to the TV and the ouput of the switch to the input of the transcoder. Then, plug all the devices in to the inputs of the switch.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Can pre/pros with 3 HDTV component inputs do this type of switching? I guess I'm confused between RGB switching (540p/1080i) and component connections that are just 480p/480i. If a Denon 3803 says 2 100Hhz component inputs or a Sunfire pre/pro says 3 HDTV component inputs and switching would that equal the switching in one of these $300 switches?

How about this Zektor? http://www.zektor.com/hds4/index.htm

I'm tempted to upgrade my Outlaw 1050 AVR to a pre/pro if it will do the switching then there is $300 of credit towards a new pre/pro.

I have Comcast HDTV box w/RGB and HTPC ATI dongle with RGB. I guess in the future I could add x-box. My Mitsu only has one DTV 1080i port...the two component ports don't help except for PS2.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The Zektor is a great box. I use one with my pj. The HTPC feeds RGBHV and the cable box feed HD Component into it. then I run RGBHV to the pj. My pj accepts both RGBHV and HD Component over the HD15 connector. The Zektor allows you to use the R/L Stereo jacks for the H and V signals, so all you need is a few RGBHV RCA break out cables to hook it all up. Thus, there is no worry about transcoding anything. Plus, its IR controlled. oh... it also lets you mix and match spdif coax and toslink at will.

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by etk29321
The Zektor is a great box. I use one with my pj. The HTPC feeds RGBHV and the cable box feed HD Component into it. then I run RGBHV to the pj. My pj accepts both RGBHV and HD Component over the HD15 connector. The Zektor allows you to use the R/L Stereo jacks for the H and V signals, so all you need is a few RGBHV RCA break out cables to hook it all up. Thus, there is no worry about transcoding anything. Plus, its IR controlled. oh... it also lets you mix and match spdif coax and toslink at will.

The Zektor also operates via Sony TV remote control codes. I have 2 computers and D* STB going through mine. Very nice.

Willie

Frozen Tundra

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What I am still confused about is the "and" "or" thing. The descriptions of these devices say RGBHV "or" RGB at a time. I would feel better knowing for a fact that you can feed RGBHV "and" RGB and have one RGB output so you can mix the imputs and have one standard output..

That is what I would like confirmed.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a comment about Shawn's setup - I also have a Mits 65" (I think its the ws65809). It has 1 hi-def input (EITHER RGBHV or Component RGB). For now, my Comcast cable 6100 box is only connect to the 480p input because I use the hi-def input for the HTPC / MyHD using a breakout cable and RGBHV. By the way, my TV DOES display 1080i (without the * - so I guess its true 1080i) with either the MyHD or in when Windows Media Player is in full screen mode (love that Coral Reef Adventure!).

I've come up with 2 different solutions, and I'm kind of waiting / saving my $ up to decide which route to go:

1 - convert all signals (cable box) to RGBHB with a transcoder and get a high quality VGA switcher. (requires a transcoder).

2 - upgrade my video card (currently have an ATI 7200) to a newer ATI and order the dongle; and upgrade my PRE/PRO to have component switching.

I'd probably rather go route #2 - but I'm waiting to see if a new batch of ATI cards will have WMVHD accelleration, for more options in the PRE/Pro arena, or for WMVHD to offer dd5.1 before making my decision.

Good Luck and let me know what you decide.

Jason

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Isn't the dogle limited to 1776x1000i? My friend has the dongle and a Toshiba TheaterWide and that's the most he gets out of it.

I considered the dongle but I'd like to still use 1800x960i, 1440x960i, 848x480 and 1920x1080i so perhaps a transcoder to a switcher would be better?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Shawn - just a followup to your last question. I think the Zektor switches both RGBHV and RGB; but doesn't transcode. If your Mits is like mine, it has to be setup EITHER for RGBHV or RGB; and it would be a pain to switch that back and forth depending on the source. I think you would actually want to recalibrate the TV each time you switched it from RGBHV to RGB component. I think you're going to need a transcoder to use the Zektor.

The posters currently using the Zektor look like they are using a projector, with often will auto switch between RGBHV and RGB, without needed to recalibrate or any additional steps like you would have with the Mits.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, our TV are almost the same and it is either or not both. So I suppose I might have to go with a transcoder then and just get a simple component video switcher.

I guess my next questionis , does a transcoder suppor the resolutions I want to use that I noted above?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'm running 856x480p for desktop & DVD but for best DVD results switch to 1920x1080i. I currently disconnect the PC when I want to watch HDTV w/my comcast box (ie SuperBowl). I don't want much HDTV and I like analog TV w/o the box but's it's still a pain to switch.

I have Mitsu WS55819 with one RGBHV connection (or RGB component).

I'm leaning towards the option #2 of getting a new switching pre/pro but I don't fully understand what to look for to make sure the switching will support my resolutions and RGB component cables.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Hey Shawn,

Unless I am missing something here, why can't you use regular KVM 4 in, 1 out with 3 breakout cables in (RGB onlyfrom the devices) and 1 VGA RGBHV breakout out?

My 3 HTPC's, DVD Player and accessDTV all use similar scheme to utlize the only DTV input on my Sony 61HS10....

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would have to manually switch the input settings on my TV. The menu in the TV is RGBVH or RGB. I would like to run run both RGBVH and RGB devices into the one input of my TV where one or the other devices would be converted to a single format.

I guess... now I think I am missing something :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Well, here is the deal Shawn: my DVD player uses component (obviously) and the rest uses RGB. And switching between two is the royal pain in the place. So I used USB-UIRT and Girder, and now I switch between Component and RGB with a push of a single "]". Oops, it switched! :)

Oh well. There are advantages and disadvantages in any solution, but I love mine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same problem. I have an HTPC (VGA D-Sub), RCA DTC-100 (VGA D-Sub), and three game consoles (Component).

You guys have come up with a lot of interesting options. After doing a bunch of searches and looking at different switchers and transcoders I'm wondering why there isn't an all-in-one solution.

No one has seen a switcher and transcoder in one?

·
Registered
802 Posts
cheapest solution is probably two switches (or one matrix switcher, but two switchers is usually cheaper) and a transcoder to go YPrPb to RGBHV.

Switch your YPrPb sources with one switch, run that output to the transcoder (to change it to RGBHV) and run that into a switch with your HTPC and that output to the TV (set to RGBHV)

I've gotten Extron high bandwidth switches on Ebay for $50, and you can get a cheap transcoder for about $75. $175 + shipping out the door.

--Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.