AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know if that 1 year, minimal subscription to Direct TV committment exists for adding used equipment? I know that if I purchased a new UTV from American Satellite that part of the deal is that 1 year committment but what if I called Direct TV to get a 2nd hand UTV activated? They will send you the access card (charge you $20 or maybe not) but is there any committment? This may not be the correct place for this question but I was not sure where else to ask.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There should be no minimum commitment, because they have not subsidized any equipment costs. I checked into this a few months ago, and they told me that the person would just have to pay for a new access card (I think it was $40 for the card).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought too but I could not find this out on their web page. The original owner has already paid that back via the minimum subscription so the new buyer does not have any obligation. Correct? The reason why I am asking this is that I am selling my UTVs and one selling point could be buying my UTV as a backup unit in case their unit dies. Since they are not being made any more and are even harder to buy new, I guess the only other option for a sick/dead UTV would be to sign up for the Direct TV service plan and wait 1 month before sending it in to be fixed/replaced. That could take a while and how much longer is Direct TV going to send back UTVs?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drsquish
That's what I thought too but I could not find this out on their web page. The original owner has already paid that back via the minimum subscription so the new buyer does not have any obligation. Correct? The reason why I am asking this is that I am selling my UTVs and one selling point could be buying my UTV as a backup unit in case their unit dies. Since they are not being made any more and are even harder to buy new, I guess the only other option for a sick/dead UTV would be to sign up for the Direct TV service plan and wait 1 month before sending it in to be fixed/replaced. That could take a while and how much longer is Direct TV going to send back UTVs?

Thanks.
Last time I checked, anytime you activate new equipment, you agree to maintain your DTV account for an additional 12 months. You can cancel the new equipment at anytime, but you can't closeout your entire account until the 12 months are up. If you activate online, you get a popup explaining this and you have to agree to it or the activation will fail. If you call the 800 number to activate, the CSR reads the statement to you before the activation is completed. If you ***** loud enough and ask for a supervisor, you can usually get them to waive it, but it's not guaranteed.

That was their policy last time I added equipment, but that was over 6 months ago. It is possible it has changed since then. You'll probably have to give them a call to confirm it. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.