AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 10 inexpensive 12" subwoofer drivers in a single enclosure vs 2 18" or 1 21" cost is simalure for each. Well the 2 18's are 1/3 cheaper. Size of enclosure can be up to 26cu.ft. alignment is LLT.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Could you provide details on the drivers we're comparing? That would make the comparison easier. It can all be modeled.

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
all the subs in 1 spot?
maybe- probably not
post the room, dimensions, layout, preferences, seating,
yada, yada, yada
welcome

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If you're talking something like the $30 JBL's vs something like the eminence, best bet is to model it. The JBL's don't do well in LLT, or perhaps better stated they take up a lot of real estate for the output. 26 cuft is enough for like 4-6 JBL's in LLT alignment, and that's going to be roughly equivalent to 1.5 UM18's. The JBL's do best, IMO, sealed, and when you run a million of them in whatever size box you can manage (bigger is better) with enough power for them all. With 26cuft available you could run 16 of them (easy load) in 1.625 cuft enclosures.

·
Premium Member
5,083 Posts
google up 'ruptured spleen"

Reactions: smcmillan2

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 21" is the Dayton PSS-555-8 and the 2 18's are Dayton PSS-460-8 and the 12's are BOSS Audio CXX12. All i know about them right now is:
  • Sensitivity SPL (1W / 1m) 85 dB, Resonant Frequency 32 Hz
  • Polypropylene Cone, 2.5 Inch Voice Coil, Rubber Surround
  • Sealed Enclosure Internal Volume: 1.2 Cubic Feet, Ported Enclosure Internal Volume: 1.8 Cubic Feet
I figure the quanity may make up for the quality. At 28 dollars a driver It might be a fun project.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
in a single enclosure
Hmmm. Must it be? In real rooms distributing the subs can get smoother bass, presuming you have some DSP wizard to sync it all. In such case, the multiple 12s could have the advantage.
JL Audio Fathom f110v2 powered subwoofer Measurements
Then my question is what amplification, since having worked for a giant Japanese audio company one of many pieces of wisdom gleaned over sake from their chief amp engineer is that loading amps down hard with low impedance is a bad idea. (My belief, which someday I shall try to measure and publish, is that you get more waste heat, blow circuit breakers sooner, and do NOT get more actual dynamic power)

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
I cant find a 12" JBL for 30 dollars anywhere... What is the model?
JBL CS1214 or equivalent (there's been a couple of other models that are the same). They go on sale at Bestbuy from time to time. There's a huge thread on them in this forum.
I've got 8 of them up front; 4 on each side of my center. They need some EQ, but they definitely get the job done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welll, right now the JBL is going for 60.00. As for multiple subs in seperate areas of the living room: That is not possible because of the furnature and the Woman of the house.
So, 10 cheap 12's with 1500 watts at 4 ohms. or 2 18 at 1000 watts at 4 ohms or one 21 with 2000 watts at 8 ohms.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Hmmm. Must it be? In real rooms distributing the subs can get smoother bass, presuming you have some DSP wizard to sync it all. In such case, the multiple 12s could have the advantage.
JL Audio Fathom f110v2 powered subwoofer Measurements
Then my question is what amplification, since having worked for a giant Japanese audio company one of many pieces of wisdom gleaned over sake from their chief amp engineer is that loading amps down hard with low impedance is a bad idea. (My belief, which someday I shall try to measure and publish, is that you get more waste heat, blow circuit breakers sooner, and do NOT get more actual dynamic power)
There are some amps such as the Speakerpower 4 and 6kw amps that are specifically designed for maximum power at low frequncies at very low impedance (1-2ohms). They do need a stout breaker tho when drawing a lot of current.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I cant find a 12" JBL for 30 dollars anywhere... What is the model?
Like others have said the gx1200 is the latest model I believe. There is also the cx1200 and cs1214 which are the older models I believe but pretty much the exact same maybe a different looking cone. Picked up some around black friday.
They are always on sale during black friday. I've heard they sometimes go on sale at other times of the year but you have to keep an eye out. Usually best buy is your best bet. I can't even use the ones I bought yet but nabbed them while I could since I wasn't sure how long until they were on sale again.

The jbl's in a single box seem to have almost a 20% advantage in displacement.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so how much of an effect would Driver coupling half? Enough to consider or something not to worry about? 7 12s floor to ceiling in two corners would be awesome! Klipsch style Korn loading anyone…

QUOTE="(The Other) Colin Miller, post: 60429988, member: 9531397"]
I would think so.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
seriously though. Has anyone used a corner wall to build a Klipsch Korn style sub?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts