AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else notice the blurred out patches and badges on the HD feed of 10-8? The would only be in some scenes and would alternate between the badge and the patch. What is the deal?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yes, I noticed it as well and thought it was rather odd since it was so inconsistent. One minute they would show the patch and then suddenly it was blurred out in the next scene. They also blurred one of the bumper stickers on the patrol car for some reason.:confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The clear patches said -

Los Angeles

Sheriff

The blurred patches seemed to say -

Los Angeles County

Sheriff.

I'm guessing the blurred patches were too 'realistic' or had some other legal issue. The same blurriness was seen on the seal in the center of the badges and on the screen savers of the PCs in the Sheriff's office.

The scene with him sitting at the desk with the L.A.S. patches on both shoulders looked to me like they were CGI as the patches were flat while the sleeves of his uniform had curvature and/or wrinkles. The patches also moved in an unnatural way as he moved.

I first noticed it when he was facing his brother and the rest of the scene was in focus but his shoulder patches were blurred. I haven't replayed it to see the first occurrence of this, but noticed it throughout the rest of the episode.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I also noticed this, but thought I was seeing things at the time. Now I know I'm not crazy ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I think what we are seeing here is this: there is no such thing as the Los Angeles Sheriff. So there is probably no legal issue with using that name.

On the other hand, there is a Los Angeles County Sheriff -- so that's probably where the issue is. A real entity might have an issue with 10-8 using their name in a television show.

Just a guess. But it seems logical.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marcus-SanDiego
I think what we are seeing here is this: there is no such thing as the Los Angeles Sheriff. So there is probably no legal issue with using that name.

On the other hand, there is a Los Angeles County Sheriff -- so that's probably where the issue is. A real entity might have an issue with 10-8 using their name in a television show.

Just a guess. But it seems logical.
As a government agency, the name of the organization can't really be copyrighted. However, the patch, logo, etc. cannot be used in their entirety, without permission of the agency. That's why the patches say "Los Angeles Sheriff", not "Los Angeles County Sheriff". I'm sure there are some changes in the vehicle appearance as well.

The show was very good, however, and the quality of the HD presentation, I thought, was great.

Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.