AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exactly does the Best Buy warranty cover? Will the warranty allow me to return the TV for complaints of mura, clouds, backlight bleeding after I've owned the set for a couple of months? Will it cover power surge damages?

I've got 10 days left until the Best Buy 30 day return policy is up on my TV. I'm not sure if I should purchase their extended warranty or just hope for the best. My Samsung LN-S4695D is satisfactory except for some bilateral backlight bleeding and a minor white mura streak that rises from the bottom of the screen. The streak doesn't affect normal viewing.

I have NOT used any of the HDMI ports yet because I am still using a 6yr old standard definition satellite box which doesn't have them. I've read how some users of this TV have had some issues with the HDMI ports.

My worry is that after the 30 days, the mura and light bleeding will get worse and I worry that once I eventually upgrade to a high def satellite box, I might find out my HDMI ports are faulty. Then I'll be stuck with these problems if they should happen.

Currently I have the TV plugged into a Power Sentry power surge protector 'without' battery backup.

· Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie_lu /forum/post/0

What exactly does the Best Buy warranty cover? Will the warranty allow me to return the TV for complaints of mura, clouds, backlight bleeding after I've owned the set for a couple of months? Will it cover power surge damages?

I've got 10 days left until the Best Buy 30 day return policy is up on my TV. I'm not sure if I should purchase their extended warranty or just hope for the best. My Samsung LN-S4695D is satisfactory except for some bilateral backlight bleeding and a minor white mura streak that rises from the bottom of the screen. The streak doesn't affect normal viewing.

I have NOT used any of the HDMI ports yet because I am still using a 6yr old standard definition satellite box which doesn't have them. I've read how some users of this TV have had some issues with the HDMI ports.

My worry is that after the 30 days, the mura and light bleeding will get worse and I worry that once I eventually upgrade to a high def satellite box, I might find out my HDMI ports are faulty. Then I'll be stuck with these problems if they should happen.

Currently I have the TV plugged into a Power Sentry power surge protector 'without' battery backup.

Yes, I would recommend the BB extended warranty for a purchase of that amount. The terms of the service plan is available online or at Best Buy. I bought a service plan for my Sony Bravia.

· Registered
74 Posts
I actually just used the warranty I purchased (9/05) from best buy on my Westinghouse. I ended up exchanging it for a Samsung since they didn't have a 37" 1080p Westinghouse in the store. It was mostly painless, though it took a good hour to resolve the transaction (I actually had to explain to the customer service people how it was supposed to work...). Keep in mind, if they do need to replace your TV that you lose the extended warranty. In other words, if you want an extended warranty on the new TV, you have to purchase a new one (the price of the old one is used as a deductible in that sense...unless the TV is under 1 yr old). Luckily for me, the TV I got (Samsung 4051d) was on sale and I ended up getting the the extended warranty for about 22$ out of pocket.

Give the price of the TV's you are looking at, it's not a bad idea. It all really depends how easily it is for you to replace the TV if you do have issues.

· Registered
2,274 Posts
No, pass. I'd rather not throw my money into a 3% trash can thank you! If you just have to have that EW, then you already got one!!!....assuming you purchased it on your credit card, your warranty is automatically doubled or extended by one year. No need to throw away more money.

· Registered
362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir /forum/post/0

Exchange the set or keep it or get your money back or get something else... Wal-Mart, Target gives you 90 days to return items, Clubs give you 180 days (6 months to return)

We were at Samsclub tonight and after speaking with a manager he informed me that the 6 month return policy you are referring to applies only to computers. other electronics such as LCD TVs are covered under their 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. Which, according to the manager, means that if you are EVER unsatisfied with your TV you can return it for a full refund as long as you have your receipt.

My jaw dropped when he told me this. I suppose a lot of people who buy a membership go there to get good deals and not to abuse their very liberal return policy. But I still was amazed that in this day and age of hi-tech electronics such a lenient return policy exists. But I heard it directly from one of the store managers and an employee in the customer service department verified this.

Now granted SamsClub doesn't have the biggest selection or the top-tier models. But dayam! thats what I call customer satisfaction! Just don't abuse.

· Registered
818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetRoe /forum/post/0

We were at Samsclub tonight and after speaking with a manager he informed me that the 6 month return policy you are referring to applies only to computers. other electronics such as LCD TVs are covered under their 100% satisfaction guarantee policy. Which, according to the manager, means that if you are EVER unsatisfied with your TV you can return it for a full refund as long as you have your receipt.

My jaw dropped when he told me this. I suppose a lot of people who buy a membership go there to get good deals and not to abuse their very liberal return policy. But I still was amazed that in this day and age of hi-tech electronics such a lenient return policy exists. But I heard it directly from one of the store managers and an employee in the customer service department verified this.

Now granted SamsClub doesn't have the biggest selection or the top-tier models. But dayam! thats what I call customer satisfaction! Just don't abuse.

Very interesting that statement from the Manager. I know that to be true for Tires but not for TVs. I know that you have 6 months for electronics and that's it. Did the Manager of that store show you proof to stand up to his claims. Also returning items back to the store like Jewerly and any electronic requires someone from those department to make the final call if you can or can not return for your money back.

I have both memberships (SamsClub and Costco) I think Costco is the best to return electronic items without calling someone any department to check on the items you returned for a full refund.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.