·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Soycrema
This is what HDTV Magazine is saying today on their daily e-mail newsletter:

"Ten to twenty HD channels expected from EchoStar/DIRECTV merger."

Any comments?
If the merger happens I have no doubt that Ergans commitment to HD would be demonstrated like this. I'm still surprised to see posts in the HD forum from those who would prefer a Murdoch takeover, which to my mind would not have been in either America's interest (maybe Australia's interest) or the interest of HDTV.

But..... my gut feeling is that, as other threads have mentioned, the merger doesn't have a snowball-in-hell's chance of getting through. Murdoch hasn't walked away, he's busy stirring the pot in Washington.

Greg

·
Registered
201 Posts
What about PBS-HD? That'd be nice to have.

Also, do HBO and Sho do east and west feeds of their HD channels (or could E*/D* do their own version with tape delay)?

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Also was just thinking that might include multiple PPV channels showing different movies like they do with SD stuff. THey could have 10 channels of just HD PPV in a few years when more people would be willing to see them.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would love to see MSG and Fox Sports NY. That would be two more to the list. If we could get East West feeds of all the Network digital feeds, I would be a very happy camper. Hope this is true. Actually, I hope this is true as long as I can still use my Oval Dish!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
wirehead_rick,

Well, Congress was kind enough to give the broadcasters a second channel for DTV. All we need now is a strong use it or loss it provision from Congress or the FCC. No, I don't think that a station should automatically lose its digital (or analog) liscence if it doesn't get DTV on air by May 1st, 2002. I do think network affiliates should lose their local market exclusivity for HDTV if they aren't on the air by the deadline. Just think, if you don't want to broadcast HDTV, the viewers with the most discretionary income in your market will watch the high def station from New York instead of your cruddy signal from BFE, North Dakota.:D

Jim

·
Banned
410 Posts
JimboG,

The reality is the most impact for HDTV is done in the urban marketplace. Period. For any sat network to tout that they will provide 10+ HDTV channels when we know that that majority of these feeds will be network feeds. is meaningless. Why? Because the same rules apply.

We heard all this bantering about how great Dish was for carrying the CBS network HD feed. Well, look how quickly all that wonderful wine turned to vinegar when the majority of local stations prevented access through denying waivers.

Do you really think by some miracle the local's rights to grant/deny waivers is going to change anytime soon? I don't think so.

So again. If the majority of these "10 HDTV" feeds are network, there is NO impact in the market since the urban market drives the whole ball of wax. And it is in the urban market where these waiver denials are occuring.

No news here :(

Rick

·
Registered
740 Posts
Both Dish and DTV are launching spot beam sats? so this may give them enought bandwith to do HD in all the major markets. Use one Sat to hit the big citys were HD penatration has been good. The other to expand to all the smaller markets they Dish does not serve yet. Also maybe they could buy the 11 transponder space at 61 sat that Cablevision owns? Thats good enought to cover a few more citys right? The big pain will be the must carrie rules, have to see how this changes things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.