AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to decide wether a 10 inch or 12 inch sub would be better. Most likely going to get a paradigm ps 1000 or ps 12000. What im trying to figure out, is what is better for my situation. First off im more about clarity then depth. So tighter bass is more important to me than getting way low frequencies. I would guess that a 10 inch is better for that. But, i've been told that with these paradigm subs, the 12 inch is so crystal clear that its the better buy. Anyone have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
room size?

music or home theatre? (% vs %)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The room size is not very large. Its rectangular shaped which is good. Im mostly going to be using the sub for movies not music. I like the sound of my paradigm monitors for music without a sub. It just sounds more natural to me. So, wattage should not be an issue. The PS series does 200watts rms I think. So again just looking for the best sound. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
What's the actual size of the room and your budget? A good sub will improve your monitors on both music and movies. There are cool subs from Hsu, SVS, Rocket...my recommendations will all be internet-direct.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I do not know the exact dimensions yet. Its a new house im moving into and the closing is not for a few weeks, so I don't have access to go in and measure yet. An old lady lives there now, and i'd rather not disturb her. But price range im looking for is no more than $500. I've bought all of my other speakers used. Used is definitely the way to go.

·
Registered
7,746 Posts
how much are you going to spend.I never looked to see what those two subs go for.

Bigger is better in the sub dept. I would say a 12" driver out does a 10" most* of the time

* There are great little 10" drivers but you'll find them sold on their own instead of built in a subwoofer.Good luck

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brosephus
What do you guys think about the HSU VTF-2?
In your pricerange I would say take a look at the HSU VTF-2 or the SVS PB10. Both good subs for

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I read a pretty extensive and technical comparison of both of these subs, and the svs came out the winner for better response at lower frequecies. For the amount of money, it looks to me like SV wins. But it sucks to not be able to try it before you buy it. Has anybody got some experience with an SV sub?

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You CAN try it - SVS offers a 45 day in-home trial, all you will pay is the shipping.

Do a search in this forum on SVS - you will get, oh, about 40 zillion hits... ;)

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Very generally speaking, if you value clarity and quickness in a ported design, I'd vote Hsu. If you value depth and impact, I'd vote SVS. Just my opinion, though. I've owned both a VTF-3 II and a PB12-ISD/2.

I'd definitely consider the STF-2 from Hsu as well for $100 less than the VTF.. unless you need the variable tuning.. GREAT little sub. Quick and tight sounding.

Another option sporting a sealed enclosure, would be the Rocket UFW-10, but would be a little more $$.

Good luck in your sub-search.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to stir things up, but... While I'm sure that an SVS or HSU sub will outperform a Paradigm PS series sub, as the owner of a PS-1000 series 4 sub, and former owner of a PS-1000 series 2 model, I can say that the PS-1000 v4 is a much more musical subwoofer than the older series. Boomy it ain't. I know the owner of a high-end home theater shop who handles everything from the mega-bucks McIntosh stuff down to Paradigm and he told me the PS-1000 has been totally redesigned with a much higher quality amplifier and improved driver. In his words, an amplifier can "make or break" a sub and he says the new amp has a much tighter rein over the driver than previous models. My best friend, who owns both a Velodyne VX-1012 series two sub and a new SPL-800, hated my previous PS-1000, calling it "in your face" but he is amazed at how musical my PS-1000 v4 sounds. I listen to a lot of jazz and this sub reproduces very musical stand-up base. Sure there's better stuff out there, but the PS-1000 v4 is not a bandpass boomer, IMHO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I didn't think the Paradigm PS series was boomy, either, compared to what I have heard. The PDR series is VERY boomy to me, and is a weak product for its price IMO.

Both Paradigm (PDR) and Klipsch (KSW) offer some weak subs, but the Paradigm PS series and the Klipsch RW series sound pretty good to me. I suspect some people hear their bottom of the line series and consider all of their products to be poor. Others listen to the PS or RW subs and think "For that money I could buy an SVS or HSU that would blow this away!" And between those two groups, subs get a reputation for being poor even though they are more like "good", "acceptable", and "slightly overpriced for their performance".

So in the end, I agree with the camp who says to check out other brands at that price point. But the PS series is not a bad sub, just a pretty good one that is priced too high compared to its competitors.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
For $500, I'd definitely go with the SVS mentioned above, the PB10...excels on music and movies. In other words, bass.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How might I get this 45 day trial from SVS? I looked on the website but haven't found anything about it, except a money back garantee. Is that what you mean? For a free trial i'll try any sub, that's a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Both Hsu and SVS offer returns. Hsu offers a 30-day money back guarantee and SVS' is 45 days. Most internet-direct companies do because you don't have the luxury of listening to them in a B&M.

(click linkies to see the return information on their pages)

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The money back guarantee is what I mean. You order the sub and it is shipped to you, and if you don't like it, you ship it back and SVS will refund your money, excluding the shipping costs. Almost all of the internet-direct speaker providers offer this: SVS, Hsu, Outlaw, Axiom, Aperion, Onix/Rocket, etc.

Here is what SVS says on this link:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/buyingsvs.htm

Quote:
45 day money back guarantee.

If you are not completely satisfied with the performance of your subwoofer, return it to us for a full refund of the purchase price. Just a few minor stipulations should you choose to do this:

* Subwoofer must be returned in original shipping boxes.

* E-mail SVS for a return authorization number and display this on the outside of the box.

* Subwoofer must be insured during return shipping.

* Shipping costs are not refundable.
Here's a few others:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/guarantee.html
http://www.hsuresearch.com/support/index.php?id=20
http://www.aperionaudio.com/cust-ser...rder.aspx#risk
http://www.**********/support_warranties.php

Give 'em a call...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.