AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,067 Posts
HD DVD: 10 x 15GB -> 150GB (presumably to 170GB with the proposed new structure)

BD: 10 x 25GB -> 250GB

I think this is as lab experiment as it gets. I wonder if they've even created a disc yet?

I'm pretty sure it would be R/RW only for both. The laser power needed would far exceed the current levels.

Gary

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvcjbl /forum/post/0

so they can make 250gb in HD-DVD?

This article saids Ritek crams 150GB onto an HD-DVD but it should be 170GB after they add the 17GB per layer to HD DVD. Blu-Ray will have the larger 250GB.

But who cares each format holds a ton of data. What's next a petabyte? How much do you need? With 10 layer capacity is a non issue.

http://www.absolutegadget.com/news/d...-20070112.html

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Is it me, or are all these layer-change announcements astonishingly arbitrary? Expect an announcement next week of 47.3 layer BD and HD discs. And the week after expect 94 layer BD and HD discs.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That makes no sense. HD-DVD spec has the same layers gaps as DVD, a 10 layer disk to spec would be probably a half inch thick!

IMHO once you break that optical spec its no longer HD-DVD, its something else new.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.