Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm going to run an LCD Projector with my PC, so the Units will be at the back of my room. I find the PC gives better Video than 480p; However, the FrontEnd Audio Components will be Up front. I need 10 Meters of Fiber with Toslink ends to reach from the PC, under the floor, and up to the Receiver for the Audio. Anyone know were I can find a length of 10 Meter. I need great quality.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Rob,

I have the same layout. I know you asked about optical, but coax works fine as well. I ran a 30' coax from the DVD to the processor and it worked fine.

At the risk of sounding like a hillbilly, the 30' coax was was made from 3 cheap 10' RCA 50 ohm cables ($2.95 apiece) connected back to back since I didn't have 75 ohm cables to spare.

Not only did it not drop any bits, the sound was identical to a 3' digital cable going into the processor. In both cases, it was going into the digital inputs of a Lexicon MC1 which always produces great sound for movies IMHO.

I'm pretty much a bits is bits kinda guy. Wrong impedance, daisy chained with cheap connectors, long cable run and no zero sound degradation haven't changed my opinion much. For a few bucks, you might want to try the same.

Chi

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by piney:
Rob,

I have the same layout. I know you asked about optical, but coax works fine as well. I ran a 30' coax from the DVD to the processor and it worked fine.

At the risk of sounding like a hillbilly, the 30' coax was was made from 3 cheap 10' RCA 50 ohm cables ($2.95 apiece) connected back to back since I didn't have 75 ohm cables to spare.

Not only did it not drop any bits, the sound was identical to a 3' digital cable going into the processor. In both cases, it was going into the digital inputs of a Lexicon MC1 which always produces great sound for movies IMHO.

I'm pretty much a bits is bits kinda guy. Wrong impedance, daisy chained with cheap connectors, long cable run and no zero sound degradation haven't changed my opinion much. For a few bucks, you might want to try the same.

Chi

I agree with you, bits are bits and as long as you got them and can reassemble them it is the same thing, but that is the kind of talk that can start another cable war. I have heard (so take it with some salt), that one of the advantages of using fiber vs cable is there is absolutely no electrical circuit that could introduce ground hum or an electrical potential problem (which I think could happen if you are running over distances and your outlets are not tied to a common ground) into your system. But I am not an EE so take it for what it is worth.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
255 Posts
You should use the 75 ohm coax otherwise you get reflections the fact that you lucked out doesn't mean you should recommend it to others.

Concerning the ground hum, that only happens if you connect cheapo sources which do not use a transformer at the end for the coaxial output. Also PC soundcards just put 5V TTL on the outputs. Those outputs can introduce serious noise.

There is also another case which is not very well researched, this is jitter. It is the shifting of the bit-sampling time. The overall view on this matter at this point is that jitter is introduced more often on optical cables than on coaxial cables. And the most problems with jitter occurr on budget DVD players with the DTS and AC3 soundtrack. If you are interested follow the newsgroups.

·
Registered
159 Posts

Originally posted by Kjelt:
You should use the 75 ohm coax otherwise you get reflections the fact that you lucked out doesn't mean you should recommend it to others.

If 75 ohm coax with RCA connectors was available, that's preferable of course. However, that wasn't available in my case other than through "audiophile" digital cable.

The point is that it may be worth trying the cheap, er, inexpensive stuff (75 ohm preferably) if the only other alternative is expensive digital cable. I know that's blasphemy to some, but there's a fair amount to be saved and little to risk other than prestige.

Chi

·
Registered
255 Posts
Piney> I am not saying you should buy $300 Monster digital cables! All I said is that the impedance should be 75 ohm otherwise you get reflections in the cable. This is pure theory ofcourse and concerning price: normal 75 ohm videocable costs $1 per meter and the metal RCA connectors cost another $2. For digital audio this is good enough unless you are ofcourse one of those audiophiles with $4000+ sets then I should say buy whatever sounds best... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.