AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Cool. I want one. ;)

But someone once told me that, at least in consumer cameras, they measure the pixels funny. They (maybe) count each of red, green, and blue as a separate pixel. If that was really the case then 1080p would already be about 6 megapixels (in camera-marketing-speak) so ten megapixels would be not quite twice as much.

- Tom

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No matter what, the cameras used for III will be supreior to the cameras used for II. The technology is quickly transforming and improving.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I wish I could find my source again, but I remember reading on the web that Ep. III will only be shown in DLP theatres. Lucas is allowing Ep. II to be shown in non-DLP theatres but Ep. III will not be allowed to be projected that way. I can understand because there are so few DLP theatres now, but will there be enough when Ep. III is released? Let's hope so.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Stephen:

Then I guess III will barely break $10M! :) If Lucas thinks that even 10% of the theater space will be D-Cinema by the release of III, he's been smoking the same crack when he projected the number of DLP screens that were supposed to be in place by the release of II. I think he missed that number by a factor of 40!

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Lucas makes lots of fatuous claims, demands, and bargaining ploys.

But, like this time, he also seems to know when to back down when he has gotten as much as he is going to get. I personally hope he is right about the number of DLP theatres. I really like them and was pleased as punch that EP II caused the local Star Southfield to put one in at the last minute.

We haven't talked about it much but everyone that sees a good digitally displayed movie can be more easily persuaded that HDTV will give a similar experiance in the home. We should hit that more.

- Tom

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Someone a bit back developed a chip that allowed for all three colors to overlap on the same chip, effectively tripling the resolution for the same density over existing systems. I don't know whether it ever went into production or not.

·
Registered
115 Posts
how much would a dlp projector cost and could theaters justify the cost with the knowledge that they would be one of the few places one could watch ep III? if there were other movies that would be as eager for viewers to see ( such as matrix 2 and spiderman 2) then maybe lucus could pt a forceful hand on increasing the # of dlp theaters. of course, the other movies would have to be digitally produced ( which i don't believe matrix2/spiderman 2 or anyother movie is digitally produced instead of film.)

·
Registered
588 Posts
Dean,

There is such a chip (Foveon), and they predict video cameras "in a year." I have heard, though, for various technical reasons that are beyond my grasp, they are not ideal for video cameras.

David

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thomson has a new HD camera introduced at NAB this year that is a 9.2 megapixel (per CCD) camera. They unvailed it unannounced and caught everybody by surprise, especially Sony! It records uncompressed HD right to a bank of hard drives. It's totally film style, no white/black balance, gama or matrix setup. Basically, set you iris and pull focus just like film cameras.

See:

http://www.designinmotion.com/brief/...,34528,00.html

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
TI Cienma DLP is 720p. Go check their web site if you like.

Here at the Seattle Cinerama if you sit up front you can actually see the jumbo pixels as they paint the massive screen with a whopping 1280x720 image.

Sorry, I can't get excited about digital projection on a massive screen with a lower resolution that what I get from my lowly HD RPTV at home.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ianken
Here at the Seattle Cinerama if you sit up front you can actually see the jumbo pixels as they paint the massive screen with a whopping 1280x720 image.
Thats the biggest (pun not intended) problem with the digital theaters. I saw "clones" in a digital theater that had a screen that wasn't so big. We were far back, but still saw pixels - but not enough to drive me crazy. I know that in some digital theaters the screens are HUGE. ie my brother said the digital theater that he saw clones on in Denver CO was the biggest screen he had ever seen a movie on (besides imax). We know they are 'low res', but they still put the dlp in the biggest theater.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I saw it digitally at The Ziegfeld (huge screen) from about 15 rows back and in Trumbull CT (smaller screen) dead center on theater and never saw one pixel. Not one. Ziegfeld's picture quality was good, but somewhat dark. At Trumbull, it was the best I have ever seen, not including 2001 in 70mm, which is an experience unlike any other.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Dont underestimate the power of the force :). Lucas forced a major audio upgrade process with the 3 original films. Empire was the one that required a dolby stereo upgrade if I recall correctly. Lucas was so horrified by how SW sounded in most theaters that he put his foot down.

Yes, the price of a digital PJ upgrade is more than the price of an audio upgrade, but prices continue to drop and will continue to do so. EpII opened on about 5000 screens out of 36000 in the US. That's 14%. It's very conceivable that by the time the movie is released (3 years from now) that ratio could be digital PJ ready.

TM

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
TM:

Well, technically, *all* movie screens are "digital PJ ready" :)

Seriously, there was a pretty good article today about the train wreck that is D-Cinema...the infighting over who foots the bill, the lack of a storage/delivery standard, the theater chains stuck in bankruptcy or struggling to come out. Now I can't find the source. Ugh.

One of the key points is that converting most/all of the screens to D-Cinema would cost something like $7-8 billion (averaging about $222K per screen), afterwhich the studios would save about $1 billion a year doing away with flimstock creation/delivery/destruction. An 8 year payback doesn't sit well with the studios--they're used to 2-3 year paybacks from film investments. And the theater chains nearly bankrupted themselves into extinction during their last megaplex upgrade binge, so they're none too interested in dishing out cash for something that their customers aren't even asking for. And it's one of those rollouts where the cost savings don't really kick in until most of the screens have been converted--and even when all the USA screens have been done, they'd have to attack the rest of the world to rid themselves of film handling costs.

Since it's taken 3+ years to reach 60 odd D-Cinema screens out of 36,000 screens in the USA, I doubt we'll see 5,000 by 2005.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Regardless of the PQ of a digital theater, if nothing better than Star Wars will be shown there, they'll fail.

Lucas needs to step back and get writing / editing / directing staff to point out his mistakes. If he doesn't, SW3 will be an absolutely negative end to his career.

Spoken as one who grinned while walking out of SW 4, and had some great discussions about SW 5.

If Lucas will be pushing digital projection in the future, he needs to:

1. Make a story worth watching

2. Make the theater at least as good as a home HD set.

Rick

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I'm confused about something:

You can buy HDTV 1080i projectors for around $5000, right? What is so special about the projectors in theaters? Isn't 1080i enough for a theater or is the movie picture even higher resolution?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm sure the projector experts that post here will have other details for you but here's what I think I know.

Commercial-grade equipment is always more expensive.

Large theatre projectors will require higher light output than a home unit.

Also, I think (I may be wrong on this) that the $250K mentioned for a theatre DLP setup includes the associated server for data storage.

OT - Does anyone know how the movies are distributed to the individual theatres? Disk pack? Also, what's the format and the application used to drive the projector? I've never seen these details discussed. TIA.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.