AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OT for this forum I know, but a very fun read.

From PC World:

10. Apple Pippin

9. Tiger Game.com

8. Nokia N-Gage

7. Mattel Hyperscan

6. Gakken TV Boy

5. RDI Halcyon

4. Philips CD-i

3. Tandy/Memorex VIS

2. Tiger Telematics Gizmondo

1. RCA Studio II

Seems like a pretty darn good list to me. Although I'm not sure the CD-i is worse some than the systems above it.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I remember wanting a Tiger Game.com sooo bad when I was little. It's also nice to see that the totally awesome Virtual Boy is not listed.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by martez /forum/post/16930723

it's also nice to see that the totally awesome virtual boy is not listed.

+1

·
Registered
588 Posts
If this list was compiled in 2007, I wouldn't be surprised if I saw the PS3 on it. Some magazines and other media were almost giddily quick to declare it dead.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership /forum/post/16931942

Unfortunately I have to add the Amiga CD32 . It was at this point it hit me that the Amiga and Commodore in general, in all it's greatness, was finally done.

No way. Sure it suffered from a lack of support but it wasn't a bad piece of hardware. Slap an expansion box on the back and you had a fully functional Amiga 1200 with a CD drive.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker George /forum/post/16932259

No way. Sure it suffered from a lack of support but it wasn't a bad piece of hardware. Slap an expansion box on the back and you had a fully functional Amiga 1200 with a CD drive.

I'm not talking about the hardware itself. I'm talking about it's impact on video games which was somewhere around a millimeter above zero.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hands down, Number 1 worst game of all time is E.T. on Atari 2600.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Wow... it's pretty sad that I wanted each and every one of those systems at one point or another during my childhood.

I will say, if not for those systems, I don't think we'd be enjoying some of the greatest and most powerful systems to date. Someone had to make the wrong kind before getting it right.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership /forum/post/16932480

I'm not talking about the hardware itself. I'm talking about it's impact on video games which was somewhere around a millimeter above zero.

Well yeah, that's true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateBestBuy /forum/post/0

What about the Jaguar? Or Sega Saturn??

Not successful consoles but they're not in the same league as this list of stinkers.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Thats a pretty lame list imho. Most of those systems never had a legitmate shot at success.

10. Apple Pippin = Japan only

9. Tiger Game.com = Handheld, doesn't count

8. Nokia N-Gage = Again, handheld, doesn't count

7. Mattel Hyperscan = I thought this thing never actually got released??

6. Gakken TV Boy = Never heard of it...

5. RDI Halcyon = Huh?

4. Philips CD-i = Ok, this is the first legitimate entry on the list

3. Tandy/Memorex VIS = would this really classify as a video game system?

2. Tiger Telematics Gizmondo = Handheld, as well as practically being a fake projduct

1. RCA Studio II = Second legitimate entry, but man, talk about going to the beginning of time ( video game time )

Here are two "legit" video game systems that I think of as the worst ever...

1. Sega 32X - I bought one of these the day it was available for $169.99. What a total piece of crap. Not only did I pay $169.99 plus tax for this abomination, but it didn't even come with a pack-in game. Sega had the nerve to include 6 different $10 off coupons for some of their crappy software. I also got Star Wars Arcade which was actually decent and Virtua Racing, but all in all, this system was beyond lame. Nothing 32-bit about it in my opinion. Most of the games look identical to a Genesis game with slightly more color. Cosmic Carnage anyone? It had a couple of decent games like Metal Head and Kolibri, but overall this was the most dissapointing hardware I ever dealt with.

2. Atari Jaguar - I must say that I actually have a strange fondness for the Jaguar, but still I also have to admit crap in a box when I see it. Being the ridiculous hardcore early adopter that I've been, I also bought a Jaguar on launch day back in December 1993. I live in Northern California, so luckily (or is that unluckily?) I got one during the early launch phase before it went nationwide. Truth be told, the Jaguar actually has like 8 or 9 decent games for it. That's more than double what the 32X has going for it. The big problem with the Jag though, was that you had to wait so freaking long for games to come out. You were literally excited when a game would come out, because they averaged about 1 game per 4 month period, lol. Also, the jag seemed to actually have a bit of potential. It was obvious very quickly that the 32X had zero potential, but the Jag was actually capable of some decent software, if the developer knew what they were doing and had any self-respect. In the end though, of the Jaguars 30 or so games, only about 8 or 9 of them are half way decent, and the rest are almost laughable. Does Checkered Flag ring a bell? Hopefully not.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I could somewhat agree with 32X and Jaguar based on their failure but really those two systems had some legit games and weren't really that bad. The systems mentioned above stunk to high heaven and had very few redeeming qualities at all, if any.

·
Registered
16,839 Posts
I would like to nominate the Nintendo Virtual Boy, at least the other systems mentioned can be played for more than 15 minutes at a time without inducing vomiting

Jason

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/16932769

I would like to nominate the Nintendo Virtual Boy, at least the other systems mentioned can be played for more than 15 minutes at a time without inducing vomiting

Jason

The Virtual Boy was amazing. Red Alarm is one of the greatest games ever made.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 /forum/post/16932743

I could somewhat agree with 32X and Jaguar based on their failure but really those two systems had some legit games and weren't really that bad. The systems mentioned above stunk to high heaven and had very few redeeming qualities at all, if any.

Yeah, the problem is, the systems in that list weren't really legit. It should have been a list of real, home video game consoles. Alot of that stuff was handhelds and computer type things. Heck, they might as well included the NEC PC-FX, and the FM Towns Marty. They are just as legitimate as the Bandai/Apple Pippin. The reason I consider the 32X to be the absolute worst is because the way Sega basically pulled a fast one with that. You'd have to have been there during that time frame to really understand it. I was there in 1994, thinking about the great possibilities of the 32X. The 32X was supposed to be a real 32-bit system. But if you played games like Cosmic Carnage and Golf Magazine: 36 Great Holes Starring Fred Couples, then you would know damn well that there wasn't anything 32-bit about this system. Many of the games like Mortal Kombat II, NBA Jam, Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure, RBI Baseball '95 and World Series Baseball starring Deion Sanders looked virtually identical to their Genesis versions, with slightly more onscreen color.

The thing is, prior to the launch of the 32X, there were all these articles in the gaming magazines of the time, interviews with Tom Kalinske about the 32X. Sega basically made it seem like the 32X was pretty much equivalent to the Saturn with just a few less bells and whistles. The reality instead was that the 32X was basically like an FX chip for the Genesis, that really didn't do much at all. The letdown from the hype to the reality was hard to explain to anybody that didn't experience it first hand. I spent well over $250 on various 32X related stuff in late 2004 and at first I tried to convince myself that Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing and Doom were worth it. Yet, when I was playing Doom, the screen was the size of a postage stamp, lol.

As for the Jaguar, again, it was the pre-hype that factored into the dissapointment. Jaguar was billed as a true 64-bit system. In late 1993, when they kept saying that the Jaguar was the first 64-bit system, people believed that. I guess technically speaking, because it had a 64-bit bus, it could legally be called 64-bit but anyone that saw Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales running on a TV via the Jaguar would have been hard pressed to tell it apart from a SNES game. Same thing with Double Dragon V: The Shadow Falls or Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story. Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure and NBA Jam: Tournament Edition also appear virtually identical to their SNES versions. In my opinion, the Jaguar was maybe a wee bit more technologically advanced than the SNES with a special FX chip build inside it. Just look at a game like Fight for Life. At one point, Atari was hyping up Fight For Life saying that it was better than Virtua Fighter on Saturn, lol. If you see that game running, it basically looks slighly better than FX Fighter, a fighting game for the SNES that used a FX chip that ultimately was never released.

I will say that the Jaguar did have many more decent games than the Sega 32X. Games like Rayman, Cybermorph, Aliens vs. Predator, Doom, Iron Soldier, Tempest 2000 and Raiden. Trevor McFur ultimately had horrible game play but the graphics were pretty amazing. Wolfenstein 3D was a really good port, not as good as the 3DO version, but pretty damn good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp /forum/post/16932769

Jason

Yeah, the Virtual Boy obviously deserves it's place among the biggest videogame busts. I still think the list should really be home gaming consoles, and technically I guess Nintendo could get away with calling it a portable, but I totally understand what you're saying. I got a VB a few years back at a Flea Market for $20, and played the Mario Tennis game for awhile. The novelty is pretty cool at first, but wears thin very quickly. I call it the Migraine Machine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts