AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently picked up a Compaq MP1800 new for an amazing price of $1100! It sometimes won't lite, so compaq is overnighting me one.. Talk about great service!

In the process of troubleshooting the projector I took the bulb-assembly out.. Just to make sure the bulb was not blackened or shorting out somewhere.

I wrote down the specs of the bulb, just to look up some info on it. The bulb is a OSRAM VIP R 120/P24. The bulb is in a simple assembly, it is not even soldered, just connected with a couple of nuts. While I doubt one can order just the bulb for an assembly rebuild.. I figured another projector probably uses the same bulb, and it might beat Compaq's Price.

Well I found that the Compaq MP1800 and MP1400 are the same.. Alas no savings between the two.. The lowest price I found on the net was $428 from Sparco.com alot better than some asking as high as $599 for the bulb. Some other good news about this bulb is that is supposed to last 2000 hours, rather than the 1000 that Compaq rates it on their website. (I need to stay on topic here http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ) Anyway I found that the bulb is also used in the Optoma 710 Projector and a Viewsonic Projector I think. Well the Viewsonic bulbs are a rip-off even more expensive than Compaq's, but the Optoma Bulbs are a bargain. The Optoma 710, can be had for $321.73 from provantage.com. That is a savings of over $100.. One would have to carefully unscrew the bulb from the Optoma housing and move it to the Compaq Housing, but it may almost be easier than that, as the edge mount connector on the Optoma and Compaq appear to be exactly the same. You probably want to wear rubber gloves if you try this, as to not track dangerous fingerprints onto the bulb.. I haven't tried this yet.. But I am sure it will work, and as soon as I need a bulb I will do it! This might also work for Viewsonic models too, just research it a bit..

As a matter of fact, it might be a possibility for others to cross-reference the bulb they have to another projector and see if it can be aquired for less money from another vendor..

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
By Viewsonic, do you mean the PJL 830? $300ish is what I thought most of the Davis bulbs were going for about 1 to 2 years ago when I started the purchase endeavor. I bought a Davis clone and haven't really thought about a new bulb yet. I never imagined the bulbs would go up in price. I assumed that as technology improved that prices would either come down or life would extend.

Tim

·
Registered
109 Posts
BE CAREFUL ! I had a customer who thought that he was saving a $100 by selecting a bulb that his research told him was an OEM bulb for the same projector. The spec were even identical. (You already know where this going...) The new bulb at first seemed to work...well kind of... The picture had a large yellow spot due to some kind of imperfection on the the bulb. The guy then while waiting for another replacement bulb, left this defective one inside his projector. after about fivce hours of use something started burning inside the projector...Long story short. It turns out the replacement bulb was NOT an exact match and produced too much heat. Bottom line the damage to the gentleman's 2 year old Panasonic LCD projector cost him almost $1100.

Just my 2 cents.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.