AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Athlon XP 2800+ processor with an Epox 8VTAI motherboard. The BIOS and Windows XP both report the processor speed correctly as 2.08 GHz. However, when I try to either tune analog tv with a Compro usb 2.0 tv tuner or just try to capture composite video from an Avermedia A180 card my CPU is pegged at 100% usage and the recording is totally choppy?? I can't figure out what is wrong but I must have something set incorrectly because the Compro tv tuner claims you only need a 500 MHz processor to watch full-screen tv. I have a brand new 6600GT video card and I had the same results before with an ATI 9200SE card so I don't think this is the cause. Any ideas what is going on here? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
What mpeg decoder? What resolution are you running at? Any other service or programs running in the background (like antivirus)?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, I tried BeyondTV with the Snapstream decoder and the NVidia PureVideo decoder. I also tried the Compro PVR application with its own decoder. All these combinations have the same results. It doesn't appear that an MPEG decoder is used for the composite in on the A180??

I do have Avast Antivirus running in the background.

·
Registered
29 Posts
With the compro, it has hardware encoding, seems like hardware encoding should always be on if it is set up right. Are you using windows mce drivers? Or just drivers that it came with? Are the drivers the latest ones?. Did you follow the crappy instructions on how to fully setup nvidia purevideo? To get lower cpu usage with the 6600gt you have to install windows media player 10, install some pathc for windows media player 10, and more crap. http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/170

I find it odd since I have an amd 2800, and nvidia 6600gt also, I'm also running avast antivirus in the background. My resolution is about 1800 ish by 1000 ish. I switch back and forth between live tv, recorded tv, and dvds with no problem. My cpu usuage is about 20 to 30 percent depending on what i'm doing. I'm not sure if it even gets close to 80 percent since all i do is use it to record tv, and play dvds.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not using MCE and have the latest drivers. I previously had the Compro on a P4 2.6 Ghz machine and it used about 20-30% as you are experiencing so I must have something configured wrong. The weird thing is that I can watch HDTV with the NVidia decoder and it only uses 30-40% CPU! It doesn't seem like a Compro-only problem though because it maxes out with the composite in on the A180 too.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Software encode will eat up cpu cycles on the A180 for analog recordings. Depends on the quality of the capture and the codec.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.