AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at Best Buy today they were forcing the $100 DVI cables for the Sumsung HD 931.

They had the normal DVI cables hidden on the back isle a lot cheaper.

How import is it to have Monster quality cables with a DVI Port?

Since the DVi port is 100% digital like say a CAT 5 ethernet cable does it really matter?

Does it matter with S-Video or Componet?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
There's been quite a few threads on the issue. All came to the same conclusion... There's no difference in PQ between cheap $20 copper or $600 fiber optic DVI cables.

The only difference is length and resolution/refresh rates. Some will work farther at higher resolutions. But cheap copper has proven to work at 50' with 720x1280 resolutions. If you have a HTPC running at 1920x1080 at 72 hz it may not work.

Bottom line is... they work perfect, they have sparklies or no image at all. For a Sammy 931 or Bravo D1, most cheap cables have worked fine up to 30'. A good plan is to also make sure you can return it, if it doesn't.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Guys, I 150% agree with all of you. I did a side-by-side comparison of a $70 BB cable vs. a $10 eBay cable and noticed absolutely no difference on my Bravo D1 and Panasonic 50 in. LCD.

The $70 DVI cable has gone back already... not worth the money there....

Component cables, however.... another story all together (I love the cables I got from bluejeanscable.com), they were worth every penny.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
If you are using a 1-2 Meter cable to a TV, the cable quality is not so critical. If you are using a 10 meter cable to a PJ, it is. People have posted success with DVI at 10 meters with:

BetterCables.com

RamElectronics.com

Lindy.com (Their "SLAC" cable)

I'm sure there are others that work at this length. There have been alot of posts about cables not working at 10 meters. So shop carefully, and get a return gauranty from the seller.

·
Registered
4,188 Posts
Quote:
If you are using a 1-2 Meter cable to a TV, the cable quality is not so critical. If you are using a 10 meter cable to a PJ, it is
. . . in getting the cable to work at all.

Just clarifying.

BB

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine was a true no name brand from eBay, and I agree with everything above regarding length. Mine is 3m, which is not long enough to notice any problems on the cheap cable.

The $70 cable from BB was a Belkin, looked the same as my cheap one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.