AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone...

I installed a Dwin 700 in my theater room in 2000, and promptly moved about 6 months later. I have stored the projector since then, but am thinking now of either a) selling it or b) installing it at a weekend house.

(Projector must have less than 100 hours on it, but I was about to get it repaired then but didn't as I think there was something funny going on with the green tube).

Couple of questions:

1. What would the projector be worth, along with the transcanner?

2. I was going to get a new Sony VW60 or something for my weekend house as I only watch movies and now more HD disks. Is that a better alternative? I was going with a larger screen than the stewart I have, but I could reinstall that one.

3. Who is available around SF/Reno to install and calibrate the Dwin if I decide to keep it?

Many thanks

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
If it's a transcanner I then I'd say under $1K for everything. With a Transcanner II maybe $1500?

Without a warranty and as is, and not working properly, less than $700 in either case. The resale value of CRTs is almost dead at this point, esp. if not coming from a reseller. Most of my money is now made doing repairs rather than set sales. DWIN charges a flat rate of $385 to repair any issue (short of tube replacement) in the set. I'd offer to repair it for less, but since you're in Ca, it makes more sense to deal with them.

There's a fellow named Chuck Williams that is in SF that is phenomenal for calibrations. Dunno if he's still in the biz, but shoot me an email to [email protected] and I'll forward your info to him.

You can get a transcoder for the Transcanner I to connect HD to the set, the Transcanner II will accept 1080i component directly into it. IF you want to sell the set as is, let me know, I'd buy it for parts. I'd get it repaired and set up though, a 100 hour DWIN is no slouch.

Frankly, you'll get more life out of the DWIN than even a new Sony in the box. In my opinion. THe DWIN will still be running in 8 years I'll bet, the Sony will have been replaced.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts