AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I am looking at two projects. They have a 100 lumen difference.  One is 250 and the other is 350 lumens.  Is it worth 100-150 extra to get 100 extra lumens of brightness?

And

How would you describe the difference in 100 lumens in general?

Taylor

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I don't know what projectors your looking at but both are to dim to be of any practical use in home theater. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for either one of them. Manufacture specs are not very accurate to with in 100 lumens anyway. 1000 lumens or so is minimum for practical home theater.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Im looking for something more portable.  Id like to take it camping or do a movie at a park or in the back yard.   Im hoping there is some kind of battery powered projector that I can look at getting. and the 250-350 fit the bill. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

The two projectors Im loooking at are the ASUS S1 854x480 WVGA 200 Lumens  or the  ASUS P2B Battery-Powered Portable LED Projector

·
Registered
625 Posts
Not near enough brightness. Look at something in the 700 lumen range for LED projectors as a bare minimum for a ~100" screen size IMO.

Something rated at ~300 lumens is going to be dim once you pass 80-90".

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Make sure you are dealing with tiny screen sizes in fully light controlled rooms with expectations of mediocre video quality at best.

100 lumens is significant when you are talking about it being a nearly 50% jump in lumens. On a 70" diagonal, the 250 lumen projector may fill it up completely in a completely darkened room if it reaches full lumen output (not likely), the 350 lumen model is far more likely to hit that 70" diagonal screen size in a completely darkened room with satisfactory results.

These projectors really can't be used above about a 2 or 3 foot diagonal in a room with any light in it and results will be compromised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts