AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about $100 to spend on speakers to compliment my Onkyo TX SR504. It's not much, I know, but it's all I have to work with. I already have two KLH floorstanders which I will use as the front left and right and they take care of the lows fairly well.

Now I need at least 3 more speakers to make my system 5 channels (no need for a sub with the floorstanders IMO). What do you guys recommend in a center and two rears? I'm impartial to a 7 channel system but if it's worth the trouble (or if there's a good 5.1 set up) I'll go for it.

I was looking at the Yamaha NS-SP1600 but I'm not entirely sure about those.

·
Registered
97 Posts
$100 for 3 speakers is rough unless you can find a good deal used. Also, ideally you want a center speaker to match your R/L speakers so you get a seamless front soundstage.

With that budget, I'd recommend just buying a pair of speakers to use as your rear surrounds and forget about the center for now. If you are not happy with a four speaker setup then you can always add a center later when your budget allows.

Also, you could add a cheap or DIY sub and use it a 2.1 system. You KLH may handle lows 'fairly well', but not as good as a sub.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Honestly, I would wait until I could put together a little more cash.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yamaha is a reasonable inexpensive choice......put as much as you can in a used CC.....I'd cheap the surrounds til you can afford something better. With so little to work with, read reveiws and look for used. (as suggested). Post an add or look for one here in used.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Wait until some kind of crazy sale at your local big box electronics sale where they sell you a "whole system" for $100 and just get it... not going to really be able to do much more

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
These AR's might do the trick:

http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?...Fid=58%2D10995

Seems they are sold out on the matching center, so you could go for 2 pairs

Driver Composition - 2 Way Satellite

Tweeter - 1" soft dome tweeter

Woofer - 5.25" Polypropylene

Frequency Response - 50Hz-30Hz +/- 3dB

Sensitivity - 87dB

Impedance - 8 Ohms

Power - 15-150 Watts

Finish - Black Ash

Dimensions - 12 3/8" X 5 7/8" X 10 1/2"

Limited Quantities

Suggested List Price $199.00

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon72 /forum/post/0

You really should save more money for better speakers.

Agreed. Use your builtin TV speakers. The speakers that are built into TVs are designed to just do dialog, But by focusing only on dialog, they tend to be quite legible. IMHO real cheap HTIBs generally sound WORSE then built-in TV speakers.

That said, you may want to consider those ARs that are mentioned in this thread..

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I'd say you'll be better off letting the KLH towers go... there are, however, some good options under $100. The Insignia bookshelfs from best buy are very decent for the price ($50/pr msrp, on sale often, as low as $35/pr). Another option is the Dayton HTS-1200B 5 speaker set. Both of these options will, however, require a sub to fill out the low end. If you can you should probably wait until you can afford at least around $200 for something like the Dayton HTS-1200B and Dayton 10" subwoofer. At this price point you can put together something that will sound extremely good considering the price.

·
Registered
245 Posts
At frye (outpost.com), you can pick up Polk R150's for $49 a pair! It's a fantastic deal. The R15's and M10's usually run aroun 100 bucks a pair at CC. The R150's are arranged like the Monitor 30s, with the R15/M10 components (5.25'' woofer stacked above a 3/4 tweeter). It has an mdf case and 5post binding. It's a steal... much better than the insignias someone else recommended. You can pick up a couple of pairs of these. Maybe look for an open box, refurb or used CSM or, if you're lucky, CS1, center and you have a decent 5.1 satellite set up (need a sub though). You can find a polk, CSW10 online for between 110 and 150 if you take a little time to search. In this arrangment, everything will be timbre matched.

As far as the R150's go, I picked up a pair of these for my office. They are very clear and detailed, no distortion or unpleasant resonance. The mids and highs are lovely. It is missing some bass and lower midrange probably stops around 65hz. I think polk lists it at 60hz, but I think they are being a little generous. No problem if you have a sub though. I would set the crossover around 65 to 70 and you'll be very pleased. For the money, you can't beat this deal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you are not scared of used I would recomend some Infinity's of Ebay can usually find a Infinity CC-1 for 40-50 and A pair of rs-1 or rs-2 for $50 this would give you a good start for $100 later a Infinity BU-1 sub would fill in the bass for well under $100 down the road. I sure you could do the same with many brands used off ebay I am just familar with these and like the sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I would say either look for some decent used speakers in your local area to avoid high shipping costs - or for home theater use, the ARVP25s mentioned by a few folks are also decent for the money.

I haven't heard the Insignias, so can't really comment. I have heard the Polk M10s and they are O.K., but need a sub or some other solution to fill in the bass, as they are rather thin in that department.

I like Infinity and if you are going to go used, you could do a lot worse. If you are looking at used speakers, ask people to let you hear them so you aren't buying blindly.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For 100 bucks you ain't gonna get much at all. If you must, you can get some Primus 140s or 150sthey've been discontinued and they are great so there are deals aroundI just bought a pair of 150s for $140. 150s may be better if you don't think you need a sub because of your mains. I looked at the Acoustic Research ARXP62 for 99$ a pair and they sound great for the size...clear with a good bass. They make smaller ones that may be less expensive but you'll lose the bass.

You can go the el-cheepo route and there are speaker you can get for 50 a pair but the moment you listen to them you'll be blessed with full understanding of you get what you pay for

Do yourself a favor. Save a little more money and then buy something you like.

BTW here is thread discussin $100 pairs

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=777035

--Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok well first let me say that this thread has inspired me to try a component speaker system. At first I just wanted to get a HTIB and get it over with, but the Onkyo S590 was not powerful enough and the S790 is not what I really wanted. I am looking at those AR's chris and afrog posted, they look really nice. The Polks from Frys and the Primus speaker setups look nice but might be too much. Also the Velodyne and Bic configuration I hear about isnt too bad also. The Dayton HTS-1200B looks real nice too. I'm looking at the Fluance AV-HTB+ 5 speaker system for $199 currently, and it looks good. When I compare the Fluance to the AR's I see that it is a good deal because if I were to buy 2 pairs (4 speakers) of the AR's then its already up to $200 without a center and sub. Im planning on getting a refurbished reciever for around $150. My budget is $350 to $400 and its not in a big room (my bedroom). Its going to be tough, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkp3 /forum/post/0

Ok well first let me say that this thread has inspired me to try a component speaker system. At first I just wanted to get a HTIB and get it over with, but the Onkyo S590 was not powerful enough and the S790 is not what I really wanted. I am looking at those AR's chris and afrog posted, they look really nice. The Polks from Frys and the Primus speaker setups look nice but might be too much. Also the Velodyne and Bic configuration I hear about isnt too bad also. The Dayton HTS-1200B looks real nice too. I'm looking at the Fluance AV-HTB+ 5 speaker system for $199 currently, and it looks good. When I compare the Fluance to the AR's I see that it is a good deal because if I were to buy 2 pairs (4 speakers) of the AR's then its already up to $200 without a center and sub. Im planning on getting a refurbished reciever for around $150. My budget is $350 to $400 and its not in a big room (my bedroom). Its going to be tough, does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Is you budget $350-$400 w/ or w/o receiver?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.