AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to ask, but does anyone have an opinion on 100" vs 106" while watching something like a Panny or Epson 1080p projector from 10' away (on to a Carada BW screen)?

The Panny would put out around 29fL at 100". Is that too bright? (I assume you'd have to get a lot brighter before it got painful.)

For some reason I can't decide between the two sizes. I've done tests on my wall and 106" seems to be a lot more involving than 100" (which is a surprise considering the only 6" difference). But of course, 100" is a little brighter and might show less SDE plus I'm not sure if people can handle the 106" when a movie has a bunch of action.

I know it's subjective and kind of ridiculous but any experienced replies are helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Since you know it's subjective, go with what looks better.
i know i know, stoopid question, stoopid answer.

106" is the same viewing angle I have for front row, at 42 deg. Nobody I've asked would change a thing. 100" is 40 deg. I think you're safer with 40 deg, but then who knows . . .

Worst case scenario, you can move the seats forward or backward a bit later on. Otherwise, I wouldn't be worried about lighting up either screen. You can get one with some gain if you wanted.

Lastly, the 106" is a 12.4% increase in display size, assuming 16:9.

http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?f...b96bc50a85e6b2

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I watch a 100" at 12.5' and don't feel I need to move closer.

BTW, your Panny will not be nearly as bright as you have stated if you use the cinema 1 mode for movies. See this .

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, that's not good. I'm currently running a Mits HD1000 and it's calibrated light output is 829 lumens according to projectorreviews. I find the Mits to be acceptably bright. I don't really want something half as bright. I'll have to reconsider the Panny. (I need some brightness to cut through some ambient light.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One more quick question, do you know what you give up when not using 'best' mode on the Panny? If you go with a brighter mode and matching calibration are you giving up black level, or color accuracy, or contrast (or any combination of those)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I think it's mainly color accuracy, but you may be able to learn more by reading a few reviews of the AE3000

·
Registered
458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington /forum/post/17035584

Sorry to ask, but does anyone have an opinion on 100" vs 106" while watching something like a Panny or Epson 1080p projector from 10' away (on to a Carada BW screen)?

The Panny would put out around 29fL at 100". Is that too bright? (I assume you'd have to get a lot brighter before it got painful.)

For some reason I can't decide between the two sizes. I've done tests on my wall and 106" seems to be a lot more involving than 100" (which is a surprise considering the only 6" difference). But of course, 100" is a little brighter and might show less SDE plus I'm not sure if people can handle the 106" when a movie has a bunch of action.

I know it's subjective and kind of ridiculous but any experienced replies are helpful.

Thanks.

This is actually a great question, I two am trying to decide between a 100" and 110 firehawk g3. (selling my 92" firehawk) I am sitting about 11' from the screen so very close to your distance. The 92" I have is nice but it needs to be bigger. I also have a second row that is about 15 feet from the screen so this adds to the need of a little larger screen. I am excited to read the responses.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merv43 /forum/post/17039869

This is actually a great question, I two am trying to decide between a 100" and 110 firehawk g3. (selling my 92" firehawk) I am sitting about 11' from the screen so very close to your distance. The 92" I have is nice but it needs to be bigger. I also have a second row that is about 15 feet from the screen so this adds to the need of a little larger screen. I am excited to read the responses.

When there are a good number of viewers, decisions must be made with compromises in both video and audio. Some people calibrate/setup for the captain's seat, and to hell with anyone else. Then others even it out for all the viewers.

So. Ask yourself how often it's just you, or just with the SO, or a family of three, or the whole neighborhood. If it's just a couple of people 90% of the time, and the captain's seat is in the front row, I'd just make it perfect for that spot. And to hell with the people in the back row.

Worst case scenario, if you really want to please your guests, just let them have first pick of seating. I've hosted many people now, and sure enough, many prefer the front, and many prefer the back, regardless of the AR or selection of title.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Something is not adding up, either that or my expectations of brightness need to be changed.

A 100" screen is roughly 30sqft of surface area. If the Panny only puts out 402L in best mode, you get 13.4 fL which seems on the low side. A 1.2 gain screen should give around 16fL which is 'adequate'.

A 106" screen is even worse of course: 402L / 33.4sqft = 12fL (or * 1.2gain = 14.4fL)

Aren't those both on the low side of watch-ability? Or maybe it makes sense to compromise on calibration in order to get more brightness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts