AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what kind(if any) HDTV I can get for $1000 to $1500. I don't have a whole lot of money, but they sure are tempting.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If you want to be really creative, you can try buying an STB (the DTC-100 can sometimes be found for around $400 these days), a 17-21 inch computer monitor (many prices, sometimes almost free), and then a sound system. (I use an inexpensive Infocus projector for nighttime viewing.)

Most CRT computer monitors will work with HD. My "daytime" monitor for my DTC is a 17 inch computer monitor that I had in the garage. I had to use the geometry controls to come up with a solution for the aspect ratio issues, but it was fairly easy to do so.

The fact is that HD sets are over-priced as manufacturers try to recoup their costs. Computer gear is much more competitive and cost-effective.

Just a thought...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mike, You can get a front projector and a STB for $1500.

An used Electrohome 4000 would give you a better and larger

picture than almost all RPTV on the market to day. I purchased

my set up for around $1000 and it's GREAT, it blows away Toshibas

and Mitsubishis.

Trevor

------------------

Stop 5C,HDCP And DFAST. We Killed DIVX, we'll kill this too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
Do those have STB's with them for those prices?

The benefits of HDTV really don't become obvious until you have a DTV/HDTV receiver to get actual HD material.
No, they don't. Good point.

You can get a STB for a relatively low price if you are willing to sign up for a year of DirecTV or E*. (You can find discounted STBs for $400 or so and the sat providers will give you a $200 rebate if you sign up for a year.)

Yeah, this is *not* a cheap hobby. ;-)

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dmikester1:
What does STB stand for?
It is lingo for "Set Top Box" a pretty bad term often used for "HDTV receiver" (Actually, I think I am going to drop that term due to its ambiguous nature . . . a Tivo, a VCR, a cable box, and playstation can also be considered 'set top boxes'.)

Most HDTV sets at stores are actually not "HDTV", they are "HDTV Monitors" meaning they can *display* an HD image but they can't actually receive and demodulate an ATSC HDTV signal. Thus, to see an actual HDTV image, you need to buy an HDTV receiver that will receive the HDTV signal, demodulate it, decode it, and render an HDTV image which is then fed into the "HDTV monitor" The reason why most HDTV sets don't have the receiver electronics is due to some *previous* uncertainty in the transmission standard (it is all resolved now) and the fact that the receiver technology is rapidly advancing such that one may wish to upgrade receivers more frequently than upgrading displays. (Kinda like PCs become obsolete faster than computer monitors.)

Quote:
RPTV is rear projection TV right?
BINGO!

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If I had to choose on a very limited budget, and wanted HDTV, the first thing I would buy would be an STB (or HD receiver if you prefer), and of course get the antenna working (not always easy to do but not that expensive). Just connecting the output to a standard TV through S-video is a revelation of improvement IMHO.

Then, you can decide on a monitor/projector/etc as the next step.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rlsmith:
If I had to choose on a very limited budget, and wanted HDTV, the first thing I would buy would be an STB (or HD receiver if you prefer), and of course get the antenna working (not always easy to do but not that expensive).
Yes . . . all the pain of HDTV without any of the benefits. ;-)

This will let you find out for a few hundred dollars if you can actually get terrestrial HDTV where you live. If you do get a picture, you will get a very nice picture free of ghosts. You'll also get extra channels if a local station is multi-casting. Furthermore, you'll get 5.1 sound (for those few times they actually broadcast 5.1 sound). So this isn't as crazy as it seemed at first glance.

However, if you buy a nice 16:9 HDTV w/o an HDTV receiver, you can watch your anamorphic DVDs in full widescreen glory . . . that was the original reason I got into this jungle we know as HDTV.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mike,

If you have a BestBuy locally checkout the Samsung 27" TSK2790F, RCA DTC100 and RCA VDC300 converter. I have this and it will give you Over The Air HD (if available in your area) and DirecTV HD (with appropriate dish(s) for about $1500.00.

I am using this for my second system and am more than pleased with the perfomance. DVD,s look great even through S-VHS. I don't think you will be disappointed.

MikeB2

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mike,

At this time, you are not going to find a 16:9 TV for under $1500 that can handle HD. If you can stretch your budget to $2000 there is a handful of choices. The Samsung TSL3095WHF, Philips 30PW9815, Toshiba 40H80 & Mitsubishi WT-46807 are a few that I know of. To stay in your price range you have to go with a 4:3 set. Some of these would be the Samsung TSL2795HF, Sampo SME-27HD5, RCA MM32110, ProScan PS32810, Panasonic CT-32HX40 and you may be able to find some 36" models too. Keep in mind it will cost another 450-500 for the RCA DTC-100 to view HD, but you can add that at any time. Until then your DVDs will look great.

Joe

·
Registered
730 Posts
A local Costco now has *two* different HDTV RPTVs available. One is $1699 (I think) and the other is a 61" HDTV for $1999. Pretty damn good deals. However, both are 4:3. I'm no longer a 16:9 zealot though provided the 4:3 set can do the "squeeze".

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Dagman,

Do those have STB's with them for those prices?

The benefits of HDTV really don't become obvious until you have a DTV/HDTV receiver to get actual HD material.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.