AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at options for a 5-channel amp.

I know the XPA-5 is probably the default here, but would really like to think outside the box. Used is fine.

How about a used Sunfire Cinema Grand?

Thoughts...

·
Registered
5,216 Posts
If you don't mind used you can find good 5 channel amps in that price range on Audiogon and ebay. Ones that come to mind are Anthem MCA50, Emotiva (new), Sunfire (as you mentioned), Outlaw, B&K. I am sure there are others but all those are reputable.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich /forum/post/18121786

If you don't mind used you can find good 5 channel amps in that price range on Audiogon and ebay. Ones that come to mind are Anthem MCA50, Emotiva (new), Sunfire (as you mentioned), Outlaw, B&K. I am sure there are others but all those are reputable.

I have a line a Sunfire Grand Cinema for ~$1k. (non-signature). Not sure if this is a good deal for an almost 10yr old amp.

Like I said, I think I would like to try something different as my only amp experience so far was with an XPA-3. And I've looked for a bunch of different stuff but nothing used within my price range that I can afford.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse /forum/post/18122361

I have a line a Sunfire Grand Cinema for ~$1k. (non-signature). Not sure if this is a good deal for an almost 10yr old amp.

Like I said, I think I would like to try something different as my only amp experience so far was with an XPA-3. And I've looked for a bunch of different stuff but nothing used within my price range that I can afford.

i agree with the poster who suggested sunfire, b&k, and anthem. the nice thing about the sunfire is the ability to utilize the voltage and/or current output taps which can suit some speakers better. I have a signature series II which has been flawless and sounds fantastic. I think the sunfire gives you more options. with regard to price--i think that is about what they are going for--the 2 ch sunfires of that vintage seem to be going for about 800 and the 5 ch for 1000-1200 (200wpc model). If you happen to use power hungry speakers this would be an especially good choice. WIth that said there are many happy b&k and anthem owners--all 3 should deliver great sq and ample power for the money.

·
The Village Idiot
9,828 Posts
You can get used 200wpc multi-channel amps for well under $1k. Like Adcom and there are others as well.

What was it you didn't like about the XPA-3?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18122446

You can get used 200wpc multi-channel amps for well under $1k. Like Adcom and there are others as well.

What was it you didn't like about the XPA-3?

I thought the amp was a touch bright with my speakers (B&W 683s) and the background noise level higher than my Marantz 7001. I've read the noise issue is because the have the gain cranked up so high.

The noise wasn't noticeable really unless really close to the speakers, but I would love to see if there is any audible difference between Emotiva and another amp. Kind of a "see for myself" thing.

If I can get the Sunfire for the right price, I might just grab it of the consensus is that the Non-signature edition Cinema Grand of that vintage is a solid piece.

·
Registered
327 Posts
just a note of caution on the sunfire. my sunfire stereo amp recently started buzzing through the speakers and apparantly needs new capacitors. it's a 15 year old amp, so certainly not an unusual repair. from my reading, it's apparantly a common issue with the older sunfires. there's a place in washington - rita's vintage something or other - that repairs all the old sunfire amps at $350 flat rate plus shipping to and from. just something to keep in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
22,644 Posts
The Sunfire Cinema Grand and Theater Grand units are usually bought around $800. There doesn't seem to be much premium being paid for the Cinema Grand II series. Sunfire has the unique advantages of being lighter, smaller and running cooler which you won't find in any other amps.

The 7-ch Sunfires do carry a premium. Also both Cinema and Theater series come in 17" and 19" models.

Source of info: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/index.php

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes /forum/post/18122821

The Sunfire Cinema Grand and Theater Grand units are usually bought around $800. There doesn't seem to be much premium being paid for the Cinema Grand II series. Sunfire has the unique advantages of being lighter, smaller and running cooler which you won't find in any other amps.

The 7-ch Sunfires do carry a premium. Also both Cinema and Theater series come in 17" and 19" models.

Source of info: http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB3/index.php

So $950 is high but I am really coming up short on affordable used amps.

I am also concerned a tad that the non-sig amps run 0.5% THD or that maybe a 10yr amp is near it's life expectancy.

Thoughts.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhasa-lover /forum/post/18124105

If it was me, I'd go with a Sherbourn. Basically 5 monoblocks sharing a chasis. Talk about pure power that never quits. I've owned many amps and receivers and keep coming back to Sherbourn.

There is a Sherbourn 7 channel 200 watt on Audiogon for $1600 and one 1700. How's that for another wrench

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/18124159

There is a Sherbourn 7 channel 200 watt on Audiogon for $1600 and one 1700. How's that for another wrench

Out of my budget guys. $950 is a stretch.

The only other option I can think of is a new Rotel 1075 (none used ATM), but that is only 120x5.

·
Registered
14,857 Posts
Here comes another wrench
. NHT Power 5 an affordable class D amp. I had one for about 6 months. A light and cool running amp that I had no issues with. One on A-gon sold for $835.00.

http://www.nhthifi.com/ServiceCenter/Power-5

Bill

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac /forum/post/18124195

Here comes another wrench
. NHT Power 5 an affordable class D amp. I had one for about 6 months. A light and cool running amp that I had no issues with. One on A-gon sold for $835.00.

http://www.nhthifi.com/ServiceCenter/Power-5

Bill

Looks nice but none to be had of those either.

Edit: And thanks to all you guys and your constant stream of advice.

·
Registered
22,644 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Strasse /forum/post/18123546

So votes?

Emo XPA-5 or the Used Sunfire Cinema Grand?

The Sunfire is a better built amp. Look at the 4u ratings, that tells part of the story.

Don't worry about the Sunfire THD ratings, those are rated at near-clipping levels. I can assure you: you will never, ever be able to get one cranked up that high and survive.

$950 isn't a bad price for a Cinema or Theater Grand model. The values fluctuate a bit and are up a little right now. If you're patient you can get one for less. Or who knows, they could keep going up too.
In which case you just made an investment.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.