AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have close to 1000 cds and growing...I have Anthem D2 and Anthem Statement and Pioneer Speakers......Rather than run a couple CD changers through, I am thinking an MP3 player would be better. Is this possible ? What mp3 player is going to work best ? I'm looking at my IPOD and it doesn't seem like it would work real good through my home stereo system....Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Music server, storing as lossless flac or alac, media streamers. Easy and I've got thousands of albums. Use a Squeezebox and Qnap, but there are newer options available.

If you store in mp3 that's lossy and limited to poor sound from ipod.

Modern AVR's have media streaming functions, although I prefer the dedicated units.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks...I knew the IPOD wasn't the way to go, but I am not familiar with the terms / products you are referring to....Can you give me a specific recommendation for a good quality unit ?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Simplest and cheapest would be a desktop computer, or a Network Attached Storage, with a host service for a device to connect to.

Not too knowledgeable about modern streamers, as most now are plain box boxes you need a visual interface, perhaps control it with a phone/tablet. I use a couple of Squeezebox V3 with a Qnap NAS, but this system is a few years old.

A regular streaming box would work, something like Sumvision Micro 4 but you need a TV, whether or not the remote app is any good dunno.

It's only about £35 though, I use one for video playback.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sumvision-Cyclone-Micro-Media-Player/dp/B005EX8XKW

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
thanks...I knew the IPOD wasn't the way to go, but I am not familiar with the terms / products you are referring to....Can you give me a specific recommendation for a good quality unit ?
Get an Oppo BD player. Install a music server software on your computer, Minimserver, Twonkey, etc. Rip all your CDs and store on HD of computer or external HD. Stream all your music. No more CD player.:D

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Oppo BD player is pretty expensive.

One option is a netbook, if that has HDMI out you could use that as your media player. Small, powerful enough, but have storage on a NAS, and visual interface as well.

Install foobar, with wsapsi drivers, EAC, have a USB DVDRW for ripping.

Or even a tablet. I could use my 10" Android tablet as interface/controller, and it has HDMI out so use AVR for decoding for best sound quality (not using analogue out/headphone out)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.