AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have around $1000 to spend on a home theater speaker setup. Just the speakers. I was hoping for recommendations on I guess 5.1 speakers. I don't need 7.1.

Thank you.

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
Does that budget include the sub? Quite often the OP will add the .1 not realizing they did that. The sub should be half of the budget if so.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
22x14 is the room. I sit 15ft. from the TV. Family room.

Yes, I meant with the sub. I don't expect "greatness" for my price just something that sounds good. I thought about HTIB but I don't know if I can do it and be satisfied.

I used to have some older Klipsch and a Mirage s12. They were OK but the sub was overpowering after a while. It would hurt my ears. It was powerful. You could feel it an all but I often felt like it wasn't complementing the rest of the sound. Fatigue, I think for the sound. The Klipsch just weren't as clear sounding as I wanted. I had a Harmon Kardon AVR 240. maybe I can't do it for $1k. Just thought it was worth a try.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Do you still have any of your old speakers left? You could save money on surrounds by reusing your old speakers. It also sounds like you didn't have your sub level matched with the rest of your system, and you might have had it placed in a bad location for your room. Bass interacts differently with your room then higher frequencies, which can cause massive peeks and dips in the response. I would recommend aquiring dual subs located in seperate locations for your new setup, this will naturaly equalize room problems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/20877817

Do you still have any of your old speakers left? You could save money on surrounds by reusing your old speakers. It also sounds like you didn't have your sub level matched with the rest of your system, and you might have had it placed in a bad location for your room. Bass interacts differently with your room then higher frequencies, which can cause massive peeks and dips in the response. I would recommend aquiring dual subs located in seperate locations for your new setup, this will naturaly equalize room problems.

No. I sold them. I'll consider the dual subs though. Thanks. Maybe two smaller ones.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I highly recommend the Behringer 2301p for all 5 speakers, this will run you about $650 shipped for all 5 from amazon. These are ultra low distorion speakers, and wil give you the cleanest sound possible in this price range. Then add a pair of subs like the Alison AL10 for $320 shipped from partsexpress.

You could also go with some random dirt cheap surround speakers and save a little.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.