AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok after making a post about the best subwoofer under $1K these are the options I came up with. Setting aside the DIY option which I am considering these are my options.

ED - A7-350 (ported) $1050 delivered

ED - A7s-450 (sealed) $950 Delivered

Q'ed and 1300 Watts with all upgrades

Epik - Tower $999.00 plus delivery (LONG WAIT)

Epik - Castle $1099.00 plus Delivery (LONG WAIT)

MFW-15 - Duals $$$???

Rythmik - F150 899.00 plus delivery

Rythmik - D15SE $999.00 plus delivery

SVS PC12 Plus $949.00 plus delivery

In this group there are pluses and minus of going with each. I have waivered back and fourth on every model and not determined a clear winner. Setting aside the DIY option can people who have heard these subs give me any comparison? I have a 3,600 cu room, large I know. Therefore given my size I am leaning toward the ED- A7s-350 Eq'd version and this is why. It's smaller that the 350 ported and sealed. I feel that the sealed box may give me a better combination of hard hitting tight bass with sufficient output. I understand that the Rythmik has great sound quality but I am concerned my room is too big. The Epik's are great but they have no idea when they will be available. I can wait until March or April but when I talked to them they could not give any time frame. MFW-15, really not sure I want duals, WAF. I still like the SVS. It's the first one I looked at and I think its still am option. Can some convince me one way or another. Please!!!!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
You have the prices on the Castle and Tower switched around.

What will the sub be used for primarily? Music? Home theater? Gaming? How loud do you plan to listen? Any of those subs could handle moderate SPL's pretty well, but if you want it LOUD, I'd suggest one of the Epiks (I have a Castle and really like it) or the A7-350. The A7s-450 will have tons of output but I think it'll be significantly less powerful below ~30hz or so than the ported Castle/Tower/A7-350, so I'd pick one of those for home theater use, as movies can tend to have quite a bit of

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would say 95% HT and 5% music, room is 35x13x8. i live an a townhouse now. tons of output may make for unhappy neighbors

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
some post on other boards have suggestes that the Eq'd A7s-350 will get down as low if not lower that a A7-450. The ed guys said they are about the same in that aspect. the 350 will give more output as it is ported and the 450 will be tighter as it is sealed. his he correct and am i correct?

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree with the above statement either the Castle or the A7-350 (which I have) would be a good choice. I am a horsepower kind of guy, the more the better! You wont be dissapointed with either one.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Glad you chimed in D.T.MIKE. I was hoping you'd say something as you're the only A7-350 owner I know of (I'm sure there are others, but you're the only one I've seen on AVS). Hope you don't mind if I post a couple of the pictures you took of the A7-350 so the OP has some perspective on the size of the beast!

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15533590

that thing is massive

Yes it is
. I thought it would be a good idea to post pictures to give an idea of how big it really is. Looking at the dimensions online or even measuring out the size on the floor do not really prepare you for the size of some of these subs. If you're looking at that saying "heck yeah!" then I think that's the type of sub for you. OTOH, if your heart just sank when you saw how big it was, you might be better off with the A7S-450. It is also pretty big, but not as large as the A7-350. If you're looking for the smallest possible footprint, the SVS cylinders are a good bet. The Plus would probably do a good job in your room if you aren't looking to listen extremely loud, but if you're planning to push the volume I'd go for the Ultra.

BTW, if you're pretty confident you want an SVS and wanted to save a few bucks there's a B-stock PC12-Plus right now for $899. They sell fast though, but just thought I'd let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15533655

how pissed will my neighbors be??? Ha ha

Depends how much they like bass

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mean to sound like a wuss but here is what i want. I want a sub that will add dimension to my HT. Though i would like a sub to give a punch in the gut i currently to not have a house that will permit that, its a townhouse. I want a sub that is going to go low and let me feel it but not really piss off the neighbors. Will the A7s still get lower than the PC12 plus

·
Registered
217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryounglaw /forum/post/15533836

I don't mean to sound like a wuss but here is what i want. I want a sub that will add dimension to my HT. Though i would like a sub to give a punch in the gut i currently to not have a house that will permit that, its a townhouse. I want a sub that is going to go low and let me feel it but not really piss off the neighbors. Will the A7s still get lower than the PC12 plus
Good luck with that. Those long waves of bass are gonna travel through walls. Just calibrate any sub you get and find your neighbors limits.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:

It might if you use EQ to boost the bottom end a whole lot. The PC12 Plus is tuned at right about 20hz, but it can also be tuned to 16hz if you plug one of its ports. This results in a small decrease in overall output but gives you another 4-5hz of extension. I'd expect the PC12 Plus in the 16hz tune to give strong output to 13-14hz. Whether or not the A7S-450 will be capable of usable extension that deep depends on your room (how much room gain you have) as well as how much you boost the deep bass with EQ (which also takes away a lot of headroom in the upper bass and can be tough on a single driver). At moderate listening levels (which is probably how you'll need to listen given that you're in a townhouse), the PC12 Plus would likely offer a great bass experience. The A7S should have significantly more output from 40hz and up, but the Plus might have an advantage down low. Hopefully some others will jump in with input of their own.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts
I have the first shipped A7S-450. Got it October of 2007. It is a great sub and I really like it. Subs have gone up so much in the last year and a half that I am going to build my next sub (I have a 2nd HT room). I am going to make a ported sub much like the A7-350 except a little bigger box.

I would look into the DIY route if you have the ability. You can get equal or better performance for less money.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:

I hear you saying different things at different times. Just based on this comment, I think the Rythmik is your best choice.

·
Registered
627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/15533412

Glad you chimed in D.T.MIKE. I was hoping you'd say something as you're the only A7-350 owner I know of (I'm sure there are others, but you're the only one I've seen on AVS). Hope you don't mind if I post a couple of the pictures you took of the A7-350 so the OP has some perspective on the size of the beast!

Hey not a problem it is good to here from actual owners of various subs to help make a decision

·
Registered
177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/15533779

Yes it is
. I thought it would be a good idea to post pictures to give an idea of how big it really is. Looking at the dimensions online or even measuring out the size on the floor do not really prepare you for the size of some of these subs.

Truth.

As a proud Tower owner, none of the above prepared me for the size of the sub. I measured, saw pictures, etc. but was still shocked to see it in my living room for the first time.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
I'll throw another option since you have $1099 as the cap. How about a pair of PC-12NSDs.

You can move em' about to get the room response right

The smaller footprint will allow for such placement

No big ugly bed liner coated box.

6db gain in output over a single unit

12" drivers for improved transient response over an 18" as you approach the higher octaves.

In Stock.

On Sale.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat as you are ryounglaw. I just blew out my STF-2 amp and I'm looking to upgrade. I'm in a condo, so I don't think I'd want huge output but just enough for a 4500 cubic foot room with my CBM-170SE as my L/R and CMT-340SE as my center. However, I'm 70% music and 30% HT. I was thinking of the PC-12 Plus since it is within my original 1K budget and has a small footprint but Jack at SVS suggested to get a PC-13 ultra instead. Now I can't make up my mind

·
Registered
433 Posts
The look on my girlfriends face was priceless when my Epik Castle showed up. She thought it was furniture

To appease her, I had it built into the space under the stairs.

Size:

Hidden in wall equals happy girl:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts