AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, need a sub recommendation. I'm building an HT system and need a sub for:

$1000 budget

60% TV, 35% Movies, 5% Music

75% Low Volume, 25% Moderate to Loud

Primary listening area: 20 X 15 X 8, but open to the entire house i.e. ~ 8000cu ft.

No appearance requirements whatsoever, got lucky with the wife

Looking at Epik Empire, HSU VTF3.3 or VTF-15H, CHT 18.1, ED A5-350 or A7s-450, or maybe dual subs.

I have little experience with subs or building an HT system, but I'm basically looking for that IMAX sound. Planning on a 3.1 to start, and building from there. I've been thinking about this for about 10yrs and finally have a house and the money to do it. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts
For $1000 and that much space I would get two outlaw audio subs. Their sale price includes a wireless adapter that might be useful to you. If you don't mind selling both adapters, you could get 2 Lfm-1 ex's and end up right around budget.

Out of those single subs you mention, I beleive the vtf15 would be best in your situation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a reason for going with dual subs? I ask because the room is asymmetric and I've read that multiple subs should be placed symmetrically.

Originally, I had the idea of going with two ED A2-300s ...

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a similar setup with my theater room open to my 6000cuft. basement. I don't get much room gain with a 6.5ft x 8ft opening off the right of my front stage. I decided to get the HSU VTF-15H because I like ported subs for HT and can seal it for music. I plan to add another one in the future. I think you will be best off getting the biggest sub you can now and adding another one down the road. 8000cuft is a lot of space for the bass to travel and you will want the additional output. With only 95% HT in a large space, I would seriously consider a big ported sub such as VTF-15H or eD a7-450 (ported version) with big output.

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I have a big living room with over 6000 cu ft of space. 8 to 14 ft cathedral ceilings with large openings to other parts of the house on the left wall. To make things move and to fill the area I have Quad Empires.

Bill

·
Registered
567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by moehop /forum/post/19651648

buy two vtf2 mk3's from HSU and place them nearfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19652324

I have a similar setup with my theater room open to my 6000cuft. basement. I don't get much room gain with a 6.5ft x 8ft opening off the right of my front stage. I decided to get the HSU VTF-15H because I like ported subs for HT and can seal it for music. I plan to add another one in the future. I think you will be best off getting the biggest sub you can now and adding another one down the road. 8000cuft is a lot of space for the bass to travel and you will want the additional output. With only 95% HT in a large space, I would seriously consider a big ported sub such as VTF-15H or eD a7-450 (ported version) with big output.

Both these guys are right. With 8000 cu. feet to fill, you'll need duals if for no better reason than to balance your room out. Question is will you be on a hard budget or will you be able to expand in the future. If you're on a hard budget and never intend to do more with subwoofers, moehop's on the money. Otherwise Luke's got the plan.

I had 6000 cu. ft to fill and bought a single ULS-15 (i'd probably put it between the 2.3 and VTF-15 in terms of SPL's) and from day one I knew I didn't have enough. Took me about 15 months to get a second ULS-15, but for 15 months I looked at my LFE as unsatisfactory. You don't want to be in limbo long.

·
Premium Member
7,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften /forum/post/0

Both these guys are right. With 8000 cu. feet to fill, you'll need duals if for no better reason than to balance your room out. Question is will you be on a hard budget or will you be able to expand in the future. If you're on a hard budget and never intend to do more with subwoofers, moehop's on the money. Otherwise Luke's got the plan.

That's why I recommended grabbing two Lfm-1 ex's while they are on sale. And then selling the wireless adapters.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My living room is 24x14 with 8-12 ft vaulted ceilings as well and the room opens up into the kitchen. I am 40 years old, LOVE music, have always been into big car stereos since I was a kid. I am probably pretty typical of many people here at AVS.

I am no expert on anything by any means. I am what I would say is the avg joe of people here at AVS.

That being said, I bought the ED a7s-450. IMO that single sub is more than enough to handle my room. I have 3 different settings on my receiver. One for music, one for movies, and one for TV. When watching TV the sub is turned way down as TV commercials and crap has WAY to much bass for me and it drowns out too much.

I am thinking about getting another one in the next year or so, but more because of the gains so many people in here discuss. When listening to music DVDs (Clapton, Journey, Eagles, Kiss, AC/DC) this sub kicks butt IMO.

I can BLAST the volume and the sub never seems close to its max limits and my walls will give out first.

When watching movies, some movies that have big bass scense like batman, Master and Commander, Iron Man, this sub knocks you on your arse. Master and Commander you literally get kicked in the chest when those canon balls are blasting into the ships.

So, for your budget, I can not imagine you would be disappointed in the Ed a7s-450. I dont know anything about the other subs, but I am more than happy with my purchase.

Add in the fact that ED changed the specs for me to fit my ET system and how could I possibly be disappointed.

By the way, this is the first sub I have been around where there are scenes where I dont hear something, but I feel it... pretty cool.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsrgreat /forum/post/19655303

I doubt his house is one big 8000 square foot box with no walls separating rooms.

Bass flows out kind of like water, it escapes through openings that can't be shut off. If its an open floor design like my house, you have to count all space. Since the theater room in concrete basement is small but open, I get impact from it being fairly nearfield with farthest seat about 10-11 feet from sub that sits in good gain corner.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian6751 /forum/post/19654966

That's why I recommended grabbing two Lfm-1 ex's while they are on sale. And then selling the wireless adapters.

Am I missing the sale you talk about? they're $648 each which is $1300 for two. That's a lot more than a thousand in my book. I ask because I'm thinking about 2 subs also. Plus I'm cheap and I like a deal, so if I'm missing something, let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Definitely need to up your budget to fill out that room properly. Spend that entire grand on 1 good sub. Then the next time you have another spare grand laying around, rinse and repeat. That still might not cut it so rinse and repeat 1 more time. You might need to rinse and repeat again after that.

Or..........! If you can up your budget right now, get a pair of those CHT 18.1's. "the Duo" I believe it's called. Also I just noticed how you stated you're cheap and you like a deal. I'm the exact same way. I've got 10-11,000 cubic feet to fill, and since I'm cheap like you, I just kept buying more and more MFW-15's. I've got 4 now PLUS 2 SVS PC25-31's. And I still need at least 2 more MFW's, OR.... I'm thinking the aforementioned "the Duo" will hopefully be enough. Depending on where you live, you might be lucky enough to buy an MFW-15 locally, for around 300-350. Buy at least 4 of those if you can.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I realize this isn't my thread, but I'm seriously leaning towards the new hsu vtf-15h. It's just over a grand shipped. From what I'm reading it's incredibly popular on here. Nearly every one that asks for advice gets recommended an hsu sub of some sort. I figure i can't go wrong, right? Except the part about telling my wife i spent a thousand dollars on one speaker. I haven't had a day off work since thanksgiving and wont have one off until xmas eve so it's my present to myself. BTW, does hsu stock their stuff or will I be waiting like i hear about eD?

·
Registered
3,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnac /forum/post/19656700

I realize this isn't my thread, but I'm seriously leaning towards the new hsu vtf-15h. It's just over a grand shipped. From what I'm reading it's incredibly popular on here. Nearly every one that asks for advice gets recommended an hsu sub of some sort. I figure i can't go wrong, right? Except the part about telling my wife i spent a thousand dollars on one speaker. I haven't had a day off work since thanksgiving and wont have one off until xmas eve so it's my present to myself. BTW, does hsu stock their stuff or will I be waiting like i hear about eD?

You will love the VTF-15H. I think they still have them in stock, Pete could answer that for sure. They ship the same day if ordered early enough or the next day.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts

Quote:
Selling my vtf15h if u guy are interstead MY NO. IS 760-662-8151 CALL ME ANY TIME

Saw this in the other thread...

I think it would be a good start - 2 of those would be the way to go for your room on the minimum....

I have a very large room and you don't want to know what I did...

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnac /forum/post/19656700

HSU is nothing like eD imo ,based on what i've read. SVS is another highly recommended brand, there are a few others as well.

My wife poo-poo'ed the idea of me buying a second HSU 15H for now. If the onsuite bathroom upgrade works out then I may get the green light. (knock on wood)

Women are a funny animal. 8K to update a bathroom vs another sub, priorities I guess. lol

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
From what I have read - I would suggest HSU over eD every day of the week...

Yeah funny, I have no wife, but if I would have dumped the money I spent on my subs - I would have a remodeled bathroom, and kitchen by now.... Oh well, I'm not going anywhere - theres always next year

1 - 20 of 26 Posts