AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been lurking around here for the last six months learning alot of info from the list. I had been planning on purchasing a Sony VPH-12XX series CRT for my Home Theater i'm building, but things have changed a bit. I was talking to a friend of mine to works at our local college about CRT projectors and he said the school had one they were getting ready to trash. Of course I said I would take it. He didn't know what model it was but he didn't think it worked.

I picked it up today and it's a Sony VPH-1000q, it's not exactly what I had in mind but hey it was free. It also came with 50' of remote cable and the Sony VPR-722S "Remote Controller".

It works!! I turned it on, flipped the button to test mode, and all three CRT's came on (BTW there is NO burn-in at all). I'm extremely happy this thing works. It looks brand new! I havn't put a signal to it, but I bet the college just wanted to get rid of it to replace it with a LCD projector.

The only thing is, I really had my hopes up for a good quality CRT projector. I have the specs for the 1000q from www.projectorspecs.com, and it's at the bottom of the list (almost).

Will this projector even come close to the quality of a 12XXq?

(No HDTV or RGBHV inputs)

I plan on using my HTPC for signal.

PIII 650Mhz

ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 7500

Sound Blaster Live Platinum

Thanks for any feedback that you have on this projector.

Alan Comstock

·
Registered
609 Posts
in a word, no. that's a video-only projector, meaning you can't even use a line-doubled signal with it. A 12xx will destroy it in picture quality. It will actually be kind of a hassle to get it to work with a PC at all unless you use the TV out on the radeon there.

Since it was free, I think you should hang onto it and use it to learn the ropes with setting up a CRT. But if you saw even a lowly 640x480 progressive picture thrown by something else I think you'd want to quickly replace that unit. However... the tubes are interchangeable with a sony which has higher scan rates like a 1031Q - or even better a couple of EHome ECP models.

I bet you could find one of those with burned tubes for almost nothing...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I got a 1000Q from a local college here and have been playing around with it for a while now. As mentioned before, you can't really take advantage of the HTPC as it can only handle 480i. That being said, I've had a lot of fun playing around with mine, and am able to put a pretty decent picture up on a smaller (60" wide 16:9) screen. Keeping the screen size small and squashing the image to 16:9 greatly reduces the scan lines that plague 480i and make it pretty decent to watch and certainly better than any lcd I've seen.

A good clean set of SD-187 tubes is a good find any day! I plan to hang on to my 1000Q until a cheap 1031Q or BD600 comes along with toasty tubes. When you consider that these PJs cost $300-$500 and would cost $300-$800 to retube, one with burnt tubes should be very cheap indeed. Another alternative would be to sell the 187s to help fund a better PJ purchase.

Rob

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Of course, if you at least use the S-Video input, that'll help a bit with the pic. Free always looks good.

Marc

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
sell it and get yourself a 1031q!!

brickie

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I did buy a 1031Q wouldn't the CRT's be interchangeable with my 1000Q?

Does anyone know what other parts can be used (power supply, etc.)?

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I think the 1000Q uses brighter CRTs than the 1031Q (or maybe it's just the 1001Q and the 1044Q). In any case, yes, the 5" tubes are swapable between all 10xx units. I seem to recall there being issues with HV wire lengths, but that may not be an issue if you are swapping tubes from a Sony to another Sony - just an issue when swaping to/from a Sony to/from another brand that uses such 5" tubes. Maybe someone here could say for sure.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
keep it for gameing and buy a 1272 are barco 808

XANATOS

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yeah, as XANATOS would otherwise say, the 1272 and 808 will piss on the 1000. :D

·
Registered
243 Posts
No doubt pretty much anything will piss on the 1000Q. But it still pisses on bulbs :)

The tubes in the 1000Q are the same SD-187s that are in the 1031Q, as well as some Barcos and ECPs (2500 I think) as mentioned earlier. The 1001Q and 1044Q had the brighter 07MS but they are still swappable with the 187s. I don't think there are any HT cable issues swapping within the Sony models, just between brands, and then its just a matter of splicing on the old cable.

Pretty much all the other parts are different in the 1031. 100x and 104x share lots of parts, but none of the 104x will scan higher either. The other big thing they all share in common are lenses. A set of HACC or HD-6 all glass lenses makes a nice upgrade for the 1000Q or any other 10xx with the plastic TAC-3s. Mine were about $30 on ebay, so its a very good bang for buck upgrade.

Rob

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I'd take a digital over a video-only CRT anyday. But if you like the look of interlacing lines I guess it's your call. Also, there are cosmetic parts that the 1000 and the 103x share. Metal face plates are the hood ornaments of the Sony 10xx CRT projectors (minus the units that never came with them to begin with - ie 1020Q). The tubes are without doubt the most valuable parts. The boards are pretty much worth nothing unless you know someone with a 1000 or 104x that needs those boards. Try selling them on eBay and you'll see what I mean by "pretty much worth nothing". Like was previously mentioned keep it for video games or regular television watching and try to snag a data grade projector for watch DVDs and HDTV.

·
Registered
609 Posts
a clean and perfect (and free!) set of original factory tubes is a beautiful thing, though - and I'm sure you could get a 1031 or an ECP or an old Barco 600 which was in need of tubes but otherwise okay for very little money if you look around. You might even want to email someone like Curt and see if he has any models that will accept those tubes that he was just going to use for parts.

Whatever you do hang onto them because you never know when they might come in handy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.