AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I have recently decided to build my own home sound system and would appreciate your input in deciding how to go about it. I would like to build something around 1000watts or more (max 1500watts). I have a 50watt system in my car and now its time to upgrade the klipsch promedia i am currently using for gaming/etc.

I am currently thinking this for receiver and sub:
Sony STRDH550 5.2 channel
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_66617_Kicker-40CWR154-CWR154.html

What are the reputable names? how hard is it coming from building car audio to home theatres?

I would like to keep things around 1500$. I am willing to sacrifice a sleek design and some bulk for power/performance.

Thank you all for your input.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not DIY pro but I don't think you want to use car subs for HT use.
You should check out diysoundgroup.com that's where I got my speakers and it couldn't have been any more simple for me and there are plenty of forum posts around to help you through your build if you have any questions.
My main guess with difference is having to build a crossover. I have never built car sub ports so just my guess in difference.
After my first DIY HT build I have learned there's no other way to go when it comes to value.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Some car subs work quite well for HT use, but you'd want to model them in a box to know if they perform the way you'd want.

Is $1500 just for the AVR and subs and amps? Or for speakers as well? Is this for home theater use, or just on a computer desk? How big is the room?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The amount of watts should not be your goal. That 50 watts used with 100db sensitive speakers can play louder than you could handle.

I'd skip the sony avr and get a denon.

This thread will tell you the current best bang for buck bass setup

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...hat-design-contest-anyone-8.html#post32943641

It's a long thread but read it all. Then poke around here for a week before you buy anything. You'll be glad you did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts