AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything wrong with putting a 100amp electrical sub panel in the same area where my equipment rack will be? They will both be under the stairs leading down to my basement HT. The panel-to-rack distance might only be a couple of feet.

Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
code says you must leave 3 feet in front of the panel clear. Under the stairs? you must have 6 feet headroom in front of the panel . Closet under stairs? Touchy place as some inspectors say no to all "closets" and some ask if they are clothes closets. If no inspection then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but being an alectrician-please give us some "working clearance" in front of panels. As far as interference, dont run any low and high (120/240 volt) parallel to each other. A couple feet away should be fine.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvolfan /forum/post/12982717

If no inspection then I wouldn't worry too much about it, but being an alectrician-please give us some "working clearance" in front of panels. As far as interference, dont run any low and high (120/240 volt) parallel to each other. A couple feet away should be fine.

Except if he ever sells the house, a Home inspector may flag it. Then you either have to move it or the buyer can cancel the escrow for non code renovations.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It will all be according to code and inspected. I can put it somewhere else, but thought this might be a good, out of the way place. The equipment rack will be on wheels and can roll into the room. The electrician that came by today mentioned code distances to the sides, but didn't say anything about the distance in front of the panel. It would still have 3' in front, though.

Anybody done a similiar run (about 55-60' from the main panel in the garage) and don't mind sharing how much it cost for parts/labor? I'm going to have a couple more electricians give estimates. Oh, the first estimate used #1 aluminum wire.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts