AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The FMD technology developed by Constellation 3D (see www.c-3d.net ) mentioned at the end of the ZD article is slated to hit the market early next year. Drive manufacturer Lite-On is already licensed to produce the drives. The FMD format uses current red laser technology and gets its high capacity by having up to 30 laminated layers on a disk with up to 100gig capacity. It uses imbedded fluorescent materials instead of the reflective technology used by current CD/DVD disks.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi all:

___About the only thing I can see 100 GB DVD’s used for would be a HD content film and not 480i/p as most of us all scale now. Boy would I would love to rent/watch a HD–DVD of some sort w/ all the extra’s/trimmings ;) Star Wars trilogy besides TPM (I did not really like that film) or Gladiator/Fifth Element/Matrix/SPD SE/Armageddon … would be spectacular at 1080i!

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wayne, I agree that one of the big uses for the 100GB discs will be HD but they also are going to kill the low end of tape backup devices IF the discs can be made cheap enough (say $20 per disc for rewritable and under $10 for write once).

Also, with 100GB you could do sequential backup images with delta and use a single disc for quite awhile.

I personally have been waiting for technology such as this for good archiving of HD and backup of my current systems. Right now I have to rely on Firewire HD hard drives and that gets really expensive fast.

- Larry

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Larry:

___I didn’t even consider HD B/U’s. Even my HD images using PowerQuest’s Drive Image Pro to a second, third, or fourth partition takes over 2.5 GB compressed and its sad burning up that kind of HD space. The MP3 directory is well over 10 GB’s now and I hate wasting portions of this 60 GB 60GXP on that as well … I guess a 100 GB DVD-RW would make 100 GB HD’s obsolete for the next few weeks anyway ;)

___I am going to play devil’s advocate here. The problem w/ a DVD-RW may be in the data loss … Its one thing to lose a Hi Def recording but its another to lose 10 GB’s of MP3’s or even Windows 2000 SP2 when all you have is a 56k dialup. I have to ask but how many of you have lost data on CD-RW media? I have twice so I just don’t trust them. Std. CD-R media keeps going and going and going but the CD-RW media has caused me much grief in the past … I hope they (DVD media manufacturers) have figured this problem out so that 100 GB’s of -RW data will not turn into cannot access disc … Any idea’s or inside information into the technology as far as DVD-RW disc’s having a similar problem or an even better solution? Another issue … 200 GB HD’s will be made available w/ special adapter cards for the 137 GB limit and by all accounts of pricing to date, I am guessing maybe $200.00 for them by Christmas of 2002. I do not know what they will try to get for a 50/100 GB DVD-RW but the std DVD-RW’s available today are darn expensive at > $500.00 for just 4.7 GB’s of recording space. I have seen 100 GB 7200 RPM HD’s w/ coupons for less than $200.00. Its a race I am more than happy to watch but one that may make the 100 GB DVD-RW obsolete at > $500.00 type prices with WD, IBM, Maxtor, and Seagate HD’s still cleaning Moore’s Law’s clock in the short run. I have not hot swapped a tray loaded drive under XP and I do not know if it is possible but with (3) permanently mounted 200 GB HD’s in your HTPC, that is in access of 70 hours of HD recording at maybe $600.00 by this time next year. I suppose you could save more w/ a DVD-RW if you use it to its full potential but w/ the new DVD-RW media going for a guesstimate of lets say $20.00 a pop and the DVD-RW costing maybe $750.00, you are looking at almost $900.00 for the same 75 hours of HD recording and maybe less convenient unless the other HTPC you are transferring to also has a $750.00 100 GB capable DVD-RW in it. I know you are using SCSI drives which makes this cost comparison moot but we may have the latest Serial based and hot swappable HD’s made available to us for the same costs by that time as well.

___Again, I was playing devils advocate since even I have run out of space w/ 30’s, 40’s, and even 60 GB drives in the last year myself but with the costs falling like they have, I am not too overlay concerned with 100 GB’s of recording on the latest 100 GB drives given the costs even today. If the new DVD-RW drives come in the area of $59.00 after rebate which I purchased the 12x10x32 Iomega based Plextor CD-RW clone the other night for, than we are talking a whole new ball game ;)

___I look forward to any and all replies on this post in particular given my poor luck w/ included CD-RW media.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Hi Wayne -

I don't think I've heard of DVD-R's failing much, but maybe I haven't been paying enough attention.

But someone reported maybe yesterday they could be had in bulk for $5 and Pricewatch today calls them at $6.

So if that makes them

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.