Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just ordered the H27 and am in the process of p/u a screen. My room is roughly 15' x 19'. Ive calculated a 101" screen using 16.5' throw which would put the viewer at around 15' seating distance from the screen. But im wondering if 101" is too big from that seating distance...can the picture ever be too big????? lol What do you think?

Best Regards,

Ricky

·
Registered
989 Posts
No!

I personally believe you should go as large as possible. Why dont you wait till your projector comes and then experiment with different sizes on your wall/ bed sheet etc. before you invest more on a screen.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Yep wait and test. Mine is 124" diag from 13'-15' and no problems for me.

Regards

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
assuming you're talking about 101" diagonal i would go one step further and say that you will be likely to find that size screen too small from 15'. i'm viewing 112" from 12' and i wouldn't want to go any smaller. but as the others say, get the projector and play with the image size until you find what works for you. i was originally planning to go with about 100" but decided bigger is better.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I have a 110'' screen at 16' - that works best for my room and I already bought the screen.

Since the one we have is a 720p PJ I think if I were to do it again I would have gone 1.5x screen width (about 130'' diagonal), the PJ is bright enough (on high mode with a 1.3 gain screen).

The only things I would be concerned with at image sizes larger than 100'' are:

Image quality degrades with size (larger picture=worse quality), especially with the entry-level PJs.

SDE

-----

This is my 500th post! I'm not sure I should be happy about that ;)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
H27, the projector all other 480p units pale against. 'PROJECTOR REVIEWS' had an amazing review comparing this unit against all others in this resolution catagory and it was so far ahead in all areas. The brightness of this projector is good for screens up to at least 130".

Your seating distance is superb. Just remember that too large an image will just amplify video artifacts so you will be the judge in the end. I would recommend 110" maximum for this reason at your seating distance.

20'x14' dedicated theater

Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector

Draper onyx m1300 106" tension screen

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel aml

Rotel rb1080 2 channel amp

Paradigm reference speaker system

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped ( soon to be replaced with a denon 3910 ) BETTER :D

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I go 1.6x to the diagonal on my H31(same res) and suffer peek-a-boo SDE. You don't notice it except on occassion. That equates to 13.5 feet viewing distance on a 100 inch screen. 15 feet should do nicely.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I agree 101" at 15' is excellent and you would likely be very happy but the advice to wait to purchase the screen until you have the projector probably can't hurt.

Chris

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:
H27, the projector all other 480p units pale against.
Thats only your very misinformed opinion of course. Talk about a flame starter statement...

To the poster just go as big as you can without getting bugged by artifacts or you may regret it later.

Regards

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
"Thats only your very misinformed opinion of course. "

He was just refering to a review site - no need for personal attack. H27 did not fare as well in the projectorcentral review.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
The truth hurts sometimes but fact is fact. The H27 is the one to top at this point. Especially since it costs relatively the same price as preceding units. Like I stated previously, there are many reviews which clearly show just how much of an improvement this projector is over others. It has all the features specifications wise and advantages of the 720p optomas except for the lower resolution which is no disadvantage at 2x seating distance.

Trying to compare projectors from 2 years ago to todays models with the dramatic performance increases is like stepping back in time. Everyone has there personal reasons for deciding and even keeping there present projectors but things do improve as time goes buy and it is just common sense to adjust to these changes. People who drive there chevys and say that it is better than a mercedes because of person bias obviously have some reason or another, but who knows why really. :rolleyes:

The next round of LCD projectors will make even my unit look inferior but I just have to deal with it.

Panasonic PT-AE 700U lcd projector

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

Rotel rb 1095 5 channel amp

Rotel rb 1080 2 channel amp

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped ( soon to be replaced by a denon 3910 ) BETTER. ;)

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Quote:
The truth hurts sometimes but fact is fact.
It maybe so or not but PALE in comparison is a ridiculous statement to use when comparing it to a projector like the 4805 that can hold its own against higher res PJs and more expensive ones and there are LOTS of pro reviews that say so and I've seen it with my own eyes. I will expect statements like that from people that like to troll and start flaming wars...hopefully thats not your case. Anyway, thats all I have to say. Been here to long for this. My recommendation is to be more careful in your choice of words. First is not at all accurate and misinforms, second this is a very passionate hobby...keep that in mind. BTW I already consider your panny inferior to others like the Z3 and except for resolution , even inferior to some 480p DLPs.

Regards...I am out.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I'm viewing 142" from ~17' and would never go smaller. If you're planning to buy a nice quality screen, I would recommend that size range. You'll likely have your screen for a lot longer than your current projector.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Plerase read the reviews gentlemen. The present round of entry level projectors are amazing to say the least. No sense in arguing about things that are directly in front of our eyes.

Yes, my panasonic is inferior. I admit it. It was a step down from the sharp 12000 I have owned in the past. Damn that eye strain I had. I am physically and mentally DLP challenged. :(

Nmjack is correct as long as the light output from the projector can compensate for the extra screen size.

Panasonic PT-AE 700U lcd projector

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped ( soon to be changed to a denon 3910 ) BETTER! ;)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Welcome to avsforums. This is a great source for info. Nice bunch of folks willing to share their experience/know-how. When I got my first projector I followed advice to mount the pj , throw it's image on the wall where the screen will go, mark off the image corners with masking tape, then measure for the final screen size. This link provides a great tool to help determine best screen size:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.c...alculator.html

The results are displayed for:

Screen size to achieve SMPTE minimum viewing angle

Screen size to achieve THX recommended viewing angle

Viewing Distances Based on Visual Acuity

Regards,

sgibson

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank456
Nmjack is correct as long as the light output from the projector can compensate for the extra screen size.
Actually, even if a person's current PJ can't adequately illuminate a large screen, a larger screen may still be a good consideration. There is nothing wrong with only using part of a screen for a current PJ, while still having the larger screen for the next PJ. In other words, I recommend using room size to determine the desired screen size. If you're investing in a screen anyways, it may be smart to buy one that will also work for your future PJ's. To me, a screen is like speakers in that a dollar spent today will still be worth a dollar 3, 5 or even 10 years down the road. Contrast that to electronics, where a dollar spent today may be worth nothing in only a few years.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Good point I might add. A smaller part of the screen can be used as I actually shrink down my over all picture diameter for really 'bad' transfers of movies I love and re-enlarge it for 'good' transfers. It makes sense to do the same thing with a projector not quite bright enough to illuminate the screen sufficiently. I bought my Draper screen for the long haul and it should be in service for many projector upgrades to come.

Panasonic PT-AE700U LCD projector

Anthem avm 30 pre-pro

HTPC 1 to 1 pixel mapped ( to be replaced soon with a denon 3910 ) BETTER! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.