AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a sony 1020q, good shape, little wear on tubes. i presently have it set up at 70" diag. with proj ceiling mounted aprox 100" from screen. question is how do i tell if i have the 72" or 100" lens spacers. would love to go to 100" diag pic but am afaid of pic quality.

·
Registered
243 Posts
From the manual I don't see that the 1020 has any lense spacers. I had always understood that the 1020 and 722 were the same PJ, just one setup for 102" screen and the other for 72". On the later models there are plastic rings under the lenses that just have to be turned (with the lenses off) to the correct screen size setting. The 1020 may have these as well, but as I said the manual doesn't seem to show this.

Anyone know for sure if the 1020 uses lens spacers or crt shims?

You will probably be happiest keeping the image pretty small on this unit. I run my 1000Q on an 80" 4:3 and then squash it down to 16:9. At 80" the picture is pretty bad, and scan lines are very prevelent. At the same width, with the image squashed it is much better. I certainly wouldn't want to go much bigger, even squashed.

If you want to try it, I would just go ahead and see how far you can move the PJ back and still be able to converge correctly. Eventually it will get to the point where you can't get the three colors to overlay, which is the limit without changing spacers or shims. I wouldn't be suprised if you can go all the way to 100" without any change, since on my 1000Q there is no change to the spacers or shims to go from 72" to 100". You only have to change them if you want to go bigger than about 120".

Rob

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The 1020 or 722 do not have adjustable lens spacers. On a 1020Q, 100"

would be ok. Since this is a video only unit, pic quality will be what it will be. Best you can do is use the svideo input.

Marc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.