AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any of you HTPC people help me get a 4x3 image out of my laptop onto the the HS20?

My laptop has no DVI output, so using a VGA-component cable, I connected to the HS20. I got an "Out of Frequency" message and no image. I've downloaded Powerstrip but I do not know what to do now.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have not used any of those t hings, but I would take a logical guess and suggest you reduce the refresh rate to somthing lower in powerstrip, like 60hz,

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TomHuffman
Can any of you HTPC people help me get a 4x3 image out of my laptop onto the the HS20?

My laptop has no DVI output, so using a VGA-component cable, I connected to the HS20. I got an "Out of Frequency" message and no image. I've downloaded Powerstrip but I do not know what to do now.

Any suggestions?
As long as you set the frequency to 60Hz you should be fine. You should be able to do other frequences as well, just check out the manual to the HS-20, they are listed there.

According to the manual you should be able to use:43,479, 60,004, 70,069, 75,029, 84,997.

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Well, I don't know if the HS20 is different from my HS10, but you can't just connect from VGA to component inputs by using a breakout cable. For RGBHV (VGA) input, the HS10 requires the SIC-HS30 cable that plugs into the mult-cable input.

Your HS20 is expecting a video signal with with either sync. on Green or a component YPbPr with sync. on Y when you hook up to the component inputs.

-D

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DMILANI
Well, I don't know if the HS20 is different from my HS10, but you can't just connect from VGA to component inputs by using a breakout cable. For RGBHV (VGA) input, the HS10 requires the SIC-HS30 cable that plugs into the mult-cable input.

Your HS20 is expecting a video signal with with either sync. on Green or a component YPbPr with sync. on Y when you hook up to the component inputs.

-D
Good point, I didn't notice that fact that he was using a VGA->Componnent cable. I have no idea how that would work with neither the HS-10 nor the HS-20. Would be interesting to hear if anyone have actually been able to use such a cable since it would be a lot cheaper than aquiring the SIC-HS30 cable..

Regards,

Tore K.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DMILANI:

You are absolutely correct. The answer was right there in the manual. I've ordered the SIC-HS30 cable.

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I've got the SIC-HS30 cable and indeed I do get a good image out of my laptop onto the HS20. However, the HS20 sees a 1280x768 signal. The screen is mostly full in the vertical but there's a much-too-small border in the horizontal and images are horizontally stretched. It's not a 4x3 window.

Oddly enough, if I select 800x600 on my laptop, the HS20 displays a correctly scaled 4x3 image using 1024x768 pixels on the LCD panel, though now at a lower resolution (larger icons).

What's up?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Are you sure you set the Input A select to "computer" under the set settings menu (see page 34 in HS20 manual)?

-D

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, it's set to computer. If I don't set it to computer I get nothing.

This is bizarre. Why is 1024x768 on my laptop giving me 1280x768 on the HS20, while 800x600 on the laptop gives 1024x768 on the PJ. Very strange.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The HS20 does support a 1280x768 computer mode, but only at 60Hz and with negative sync for pos. and neg.

Try uping the refresh of your laptop (can you even do this) to 75 or 85 Hz, and see what happens.

-D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.