AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
been quite a few posts on it in the forum do a search.

While I'm here, typically it means more pixels and more pixels should be better resolution less jaggies as it projects round shapes on the screen. This however is only part of the story. It also depends on your source, cables, processors and the capability of the projectors scaling when making the image fit your screen. Look for articles on scaling etc. as well.

Then search for info on HDTV and the recievers, scalers processors etc.

Many of the new projectors are getting better scaling chipsets that make them compatible with many of the various HDTV formats that are floating around. I was like you thinking 1024x768 was the only way to go but many of the cheap projectos that are 1024x768 are lousy video projectors in the fact that they have poor contrast ratio's.

I'm not going to plug the x1 simply because I just purchased one, but it does very well for the money. If you get a lower priced decent projector you can spend the remainder of your budget on other things that won't technically depreciate so rapidly thus leveraging your investment in your home theatre.

The way I work is to invest in the least expensive but technogically sound projectors that way when they are updated and the street price of your projector falls it doesn't drop as low or as rapidly as some of the higher cost projectors with minimal differences.

BTW the x1 scales pc 1024x768 excellently even though it is a native 800x600 projector.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I don't think you can get what you want under 2K. The nearest thing is the HS10 and thats well into 2K+ range. If you wait 6 mos. - year, the market may yield what you're looking for at your cost.

·
Registered
446 Posts
dacrackho,

Consider good 'ol WVGA for DVD and gaming. The PAN AE200 and the Studio Experience Matinee 1HD are examples.

If you intend to use the pj as a regular monitor for applications then I'd look at SVGA minimum as you already are.

I have the AE100 with a PAN RP56 DVD and and XBOX both going through a transcoder and into the VGA port of the pj.

I find the results extremely gratifying provided I sit back at least 1.5x from the screen. In my case that's 12.5 ft with a 100" diag screen. I find that with gaming I can sit closer as the slight video anomalies are not as distracting as when watching a movie.

Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your guys comments..

with everything i've read and heard i'm going to make the plunge for the x1. that kind of (apparent) quality at such a great price... why not?

·
Registered
99 Posts
dacrackho:

Keep in mind that the X1 is a DLP projector and some people see 'rainbows' and others get headaches/nausea watching a DLP projector (kind of like how some people can see their computer monitor flicker at 60Hz while others don't see the flicker at all).

Maybe someone here who knows they are the type of person who CAN see rainbows could comment whether they notice an improvement with the X1?

Otherwise, you and any guests you might have may not enjoy the experience of your PJ.

-Colin.

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Since I am new to digital projectors, I too am wondering what all the hoopla is about concerning 1024x768 vs. 800x600. I have been using CRT projectors for years, and the difference between those 2 resolutions isn't even worth mentioning. What makes it so much more important with digital PJ's than with analog (CRT) PJ's?

Quote:
Otherwise, you and any guests you might have may not enjoy the experience of your PJ.
If my friends do not enjoy my projector, I'll just have to get new friends! :)

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Sorel
What makes it so much more important with digital PJ's than with analog (CRT) PJ's?
I'm thinking screen size and seating distance. Seems like the majority of people around here want something close to an 8' wide screen. It's my understanding that most people don't go that large with the lower priced CRTs. At a certain seating distance/screen size ratio I'm sure that most of us couldn't even tell you if a digital projector was 1024x768 or 800x600, but many of us like the biggest screen we can reasonable get away with :)

--Darin

·
Central Scrutinizer
8,301 Posts
Quote:
Seems like the majority of people around here want something close to an 8' wide screen.
My screen for my CRT is 100" wide (8.33 feet), and the difference between those 2 resolutions is not even noticable. Of course, I have an Electrohome Marquee 9500LC, so it doesn't really qualify as one of the "lower priced CRTs". :) There must be something more than size that is responsible for the reason this difference in resolution is important with digital PJ's.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
FYI- The Panasonic 75U is native 1024 x 768 and can be found for under $2000.00. It is an excellent projector for both DVD and HDTV.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
SKoprowski,

I don't want to step on your toes, but I had the 75u for an hour of usage and the AE300 for maybe 3 weeks. I rate the AE300 much higher than the 75u for DVDs and HDTV. Granted, I haven't seen an official release date for the AE300 in the US, yet.

--Darin

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I haven't seen the AE300, but my point was that you can get a good 1024 x 768 projector for HT for under $2000.00. The AE300 wasn't even known to exist when I bought the 75U last July. At least if my 75U ever needs service I get a replacement and free warrany repair for 3 years. No owner of a AE100,200, or 300 can say that.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
guys-

i see your point about the 75u, but i think i'm sold on the x1... such good reviews, built in faroudja 2200 (right?), and 1400 bucks? for a poor college student like me, the difference between 1400 and 2 grand makes all the difference...

-david

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would agree with you- If I didn't suffer from DLP eyestrain and headaches- I'd be trading my 75U in for the X1. At the time, the 75U was the best LCD I could find for the price. Obviously, things have changed with the intro of all these new projectors this fall/winter.

Scott

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by darinp
SKoprowski,

I don't want to step on your toes, but I had the 75u for an hour of usage and the AE300 for maybe 3 weeks. I rate the AE300 much higher than the 75u for DVDs and HDTV. Granted, I haven't seen an official release date for the AE300 in the US, yet.

--Darin
Darin,

You also rated the m20x over the 75u at the time...I've seen both these projectors, and the 75u was better than the m20x, IMHO. More film like and much better color representations. Methinks that with an hour of setup with the 75u, you didn't give it much of a chance, yet put alot of weight on your limited experience with it to rate it against other PJ's....Of course, I'm biased because I own the 75u :D

decrackho,

A faroudja chip does not necessarily mean stellar performance. There are a half a dozen or more faroudja video processing chips in the top of the line scalers...Taking one faroudja chip and throwing it into a PJ and marketing it as "Faroujda scaling" has become common place. A pinto with an LT1 engine is still a piece of crap. I'm in no way implying that the X1 is anything less than a stellar performer, but be careful about the faroudja hype.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Also keep in mind, 3:2 pulldown is quite easy to do for most any scaler to do. If you watch well-mastered DVDs, having a F inside doesn't mean much since it won't get to show off anyway.

Out of the thirty DVDs I bought because I like the movies, not one even breaks my HTPCs simple flag-based deinterlacer. This isn't by choice, but a normal thing. People really need the scalers are the ones who are watching video material or obscure, poorly mastered films.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One way to think of the vga vs xga choice is to map the pixel density on your screen. svga at 800x600 has a total of 480k pixels while xga has 786.4 pixels. On a 60 x80 inch screen the pixel density would be

SVGA 100 pixels/inch

XGA 164 pixels/inch

On a 16:9 screen things get more interesting....

4:3 projectors will use the full width and scale the height to fit. BUT the pixel density remains the same since the black bars on the top and bottom are pixels that are on the screen with no information. For a 45x80 screen...

SVGA 100 pixels/inch (800x600)

WVGA 146 pixels/inch (964x544)

XGA 164 pixels/inch (1024x768)

Note that in 16:9 XGA still has better resolution than the WVGA machines.

Things get even more interesting when you consider 16:9 native machines doing 4:3 source.

With a 16:9 WVGA machine using a 45x80 screen, 4:3 material will be shown on a 45x60 central portion of the screen. While if you had a 4:3 projector using a 60x80 screen you get the full 60x80 screen. Point is they both have the same 16:9 size at 45x80 but the 4:3 projector has a MUCH larger 4:3 image size.

There are 2 things to consider...

1). Can the native resolution of the projector preserve the source input without scaling? For DVD svga and wvga are fine, but for HDTV scaling must be done on both.

2). What is the pixel density on your screen, and how far are you from the screen? Clearly XGA will produce smaller pixels which can be placed on a bigger screen or you could sit closer to the same size XGA screen before noticing pixels.

Think of it in terms of the digicam folks. The more pixels, the better sampling is done on the image.

A curved line is better described by the smallest pixels.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by robertmee
Methinks that with an hour of setup with the 75u, you didn't give it much of a chance, yet put alot of weight on your limited experience with it to rate it against other PJ's
It's true that I didn't give it much of a chance. I didn't like the colors, but understood that this could have been tweaked. However, I think I could have spent a year trying to get a sharp image without screendoor or trying to optimize contrast and never succeeded. Since it cost me nothing to return it with less than an hour on the bulb and about $400 if I had gone over it wasn't worth the risk. If somebody can show me a well setup 75u then I will take a look, but I'm pretty sure I won't like the screendoor or what it would take to get rid of it. Probably just different strokes for different folks, though. I'm sure I'm not biased :)

--Darin

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
Bob, I think there is also the fact of using a PC or not. If you use an HTPC or if you want to connect to a PC for games, most PCs are setup at 1024x768, so they are both at their native resolution

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah the PC Game requirement is not something to pass by lightly. You can talk about how good a vga or svga looks on video and dvd, but what happens when your pc game is output onto a 640-480 or 800-600 portion of those 16x9 projectors. Your game is usually limited to one res above the projector's native res. And it'll look worse than the native because it got scaled. 1024x768 pixels is a minimum, IMHO for PC gaming. Consoles notwithstanding.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.