AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i asked this in the htpc forum but i got no replies, so ill try here.

does 1024x768 scale well on native 720p display devices(projector) especially ones with vga input? i want to be able to display normal 4:3 pc games at 1024x768 on my HD display, but to be quite frank, PC performance comes before video/HD. i dont really care about black bars on the sides of the image, and i know its not going to be absolutely perfect. i guess im asking does this type of setup usually soften the image significantly? will text be readable?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I tested this with the Hitachi PJ-TX100 (which is a quite expensive projector) and must say that I am quite dissapointed.

When testing 800x600 the projector only uses 600 of the 720 lines in height which means if wont fill the screen neither horizontally nor vertically. The image was placed in the bottom of the CCD. No upscaling of the picture to 900?x720 is done (which would fill the screen height)

- However on the PJ-TX100 the lenshift and zoom capabilities make it possible to raise the picture and then zoom in further to make it fit the screen. Probably this gives a good picture, since we get perfect pixel-pixel mapping, but it would be annoying to rescale/shift the image everytime you change from Video->Computer.

1024x768 was even more dissapointing. The image is downsized to be even smaller than 800x600. Possibly the resoltion is divided in 2 (512x374). In this mode you loose a lot of information and the image is really small, possibly not even possible to upscale it to fit the full screen.

I would have prefererred a setting where you could use 1024x768 pixelmapped as 1024x720, where you loose 24 lines at the top and 24 lines at the bottom. That would probably have given the best picture quality.

However, I expected that all projectors were able to upscale whatever insource to fit the whole screen, but obviously not :(

It would be interesting to hear how other projectors handle this..

P.S. I know that I will now get reactions such as -"Why are you not using the 1280x720 resolution, it works perfect"? Simply because it is not always possible. Even if you run PowerStrip set to 1280x720 an old game set to use 1024x768 will change to this resolution no matter what PowerStrip says D.S

·
Registered
85 Posts
That sounds strange to me. I've run 1024x768 on my Z2 with decent results, it rescales it to 720 lines high. Are you sure you set it on the right screen mode on the projector?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I am using also a Z2 and I get a decent picture of 1024 x 768.

Pictures themselves are not negatively affected, and readability is no issue... unless you need glasses anyway.

Will try to post a pic if I can remember to do it when I am back at home...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.