Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the background-

Received 1030Q1 (>501XXXX). It didn't work. Replaced 2 caps and repaired dozens of solder breaks in power supply. Eureka it works. (Hindsight is always 20-20. I should have sold it at this point but I wouldn't have felt right selling something that looked like it had a 4 watt bulb. )

It had SD-130 tubes. This thing was DARK. I didn't bother to check raster width or anything, these tubes were just too dim for me. So I swap them out for nused 1041Q1 tubes- the SD-187.

The brightness and focus are awesome with the nused 187 tube installed. But --like the title of the post-- The raster is half the width it should be.

I adjusted the convergence board H-Width control. Slight improvement but still not there. Lift the board, grab the twiddle stick, and start turning the "Thread Spools." Going from one extreme to another with the spools, I see some change in width, but again not enough to make the raster wide enough. instead of 50%, it now is about 60. :(

I don't think it matters but I kept the magnetics with each respective tube. IE- the 187 tubes still have the 187 magnetics. I cant see this as being a problem, but I haven't looked into it. Does anyone know if the magnetics are different between the 130 and the 187? They seem to be the same. And if they were "off" I would think I would have a vertical problem as well.

Interestingly vertical height is perfect, which leads me to think the PS voltages are okay. Unfortunately I don't have a schematic so beyond what's marked on the circuit board in places I can not test the voltages...

I've swapped 187 for 187 without moving the magnetics and never had a problem, but I've never done 130 for 187s. Posts on the tubes seem to indicate they are the same except the phosphor. Are the magnetics actually different, or am I forgetting about some other control somewhere?

Any ideas?

Thanks, I aprec all comments.

Kieth

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well- I answered my own question. Maybe this will save someone else a wasted hour or two. :)

The magnetics are different and need to be swapped as well so they stay with the original machine. (Glad I didnt put the SD-130 tubes into the 1041 yet...)

--Kieth

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.