AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have 3 sony 1030Q1's. I want to set one up for DVD playback (16:9?) I will only feed it DVD's. Since it is analog i will only set it up for one type of input. I will be using an HTPC and powerstrip. What resolution should i set powerstrip up for so i dont kill this projector. The serial number on them starts with 500xxx. Thanks........also what would you guys say is a safe screen size for this projector....I want to have it somewhat bright.......anyone have a calculation for how far back it needs to be? Ideally I'd like a screen thats ~72 wide for dvd's if possible...if not let me know what i should do.

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
alchemist ,

-- I would say to first get the set up manual if you don't already have it [ can be downloaded from www.projectorspecs.com ] .

-- The manual will show you different mounting recommendations .

-- I would not go beyond 640 x 480 @ 60Hz to begin with for the HTPC .

-- You will probably have a unit that is factory pre-set for an 80" x 60" 4:3 image [ then depending upon what the previous owner had done you may or may not be able to use that image size [ due to possible tube wear ] .

-- If you wish to do 16:9 then I would not go beyond 720 x 480 @ 48Hz sine the 1030Q1 is only meant to scan to 32Khz . Even a low resolution like 800x600 can damage this unit if not properly tuned under powerstrip .

-- Mounting distance for these units is usually between 120" and 138" inches .

-- Best of Luck ,

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I have managed 800x600 on my 1030q1. I'm sure I'm running it at the limit there, but after days of operation it's doing fine.

Trick is to run with NEGATIVE sync in powerstrip for anything over 640x480, use a 32khz horizontal and 48hz vertical... NOT THE DEFAULTS!!!

(I didn't have to change anything else.)

Don't plug the projector into the pc until you are sure these are set properly, or you may kill the projector.

Also don't expect to be able to run games at 8x6... Directx and opengl use their own timings and aren't controlled by powerstrip.

It does work for the desktop, and for full screen movies etc.

I don't suppose you want to sell one of your spares do you?

Troy

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Troy,

I did some experimenting with PowerStrip and GLQuake (OpenGL) and it will not run anything above 640x480 with my user INF stating that the max resolution is 720x480. So are you saying that OpenGL/DirectX will adjust the scan-rates, etc to exceed the specified specs in the monitor INF? It won't exceed the specified max resolution of the monitor INF so why would it exceed other specs? That would defeat the whole purpose of a monitor driver in Windows. Can anyone confirm that OpenGL/DirectX will exceed monitor specs? Perhaps someone with an Extron RGB-10x Plus that has a scan-rate meter?

·
Registered
866 Posts
A friend of mine has the opportunity to purchase a Sony VPH1031Q for $375.00 It was in a office setting and had

little use it seems. They gave him the pull down screen for free.

His question is this:

Since he is not a tweaker is $375 a good deal considering what he will have to pay to have it set up and maintained

or should he purchase a new projector ( in the $2,500 range ) and have less hassle and costs in the long run?

What would a similar quality NEW PJ cost that is comparable to the VPH1031Q???

Thanks for the help guys!

Bernie

·
Registered
155 Posts
Bernie,

Tell your friend that for $2500 for a NEW projector, he will get a low-end, blacks-are-grey-not-black digital projector.

For $2500 in the CRT world, he can forget about new. But he can get a kicka$$ used unit that will blow him away.

If he wants to get his feet wet without spending a lot of $, take the 1031. It's no slouch when combined with a progressive signal. Plus, there's a world of info on the 103X units on this forum. (BTW, if the 1031 is in good shape, then I think it's a good deal)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if looking for new, the best bet is the zeniths. They are currently being dumped by zenith as they are getting out of the crt business....but they will soon dry up. If the 1031 looks to be in good shape with no burns....i'd say buy it....always try and get a few bucks less, but if you can see it in action there 375 isnt bad at all.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Sorry to bring this old post up again ... but ...

My friend bought that 1031 and now he is trying to put it back together. He had a installer helping him out and the guy says that he is missing the remote-wired controller and that it is like $600 to get another one!!

Anyone know where to find one of these "controllers" at a reasonable cost????

thanks again!

Bernie

·
Registered
240 Posts
The controller isn't necessary unless you're hanging it from the ceiling, and even then, if you're stingy enough you can get up on the couch and switch it off with your hand. (Or make a stick to prod it with! :D)

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Besides, the remote wired controllers are often found on ebay for about $20 to $40 bucks. Easy. The hard part is finding the CABLE. Most of the time the remote is not needed anyway. I have 2 of them and never use them. If you don't want to reach up to hit the switch, use an X-10 appliance module and remote. That will work just fine.

Marc

·
Registered
866 Posts
Hello,

Thanks for the replys! My friend has the cable, but not the remote :-(

I looked that ebay but dont see anything there.

Anyone willing to sell one here?

Bernie

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Bernie,

Item #1360858113 ends in 19 hours on ebay.

Marc

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
try to contact Curt Palme at : [email protected]

-- He has these from time to time ...

-- Jason Berg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.