AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 1031 setup pretty well, but it's not perfect and it won't converge perfectly. If I maximize the width of the green tube, the red will barely come down enough to line up, but it will. The blue, however, will not. It gets close enough to give a nice image, but it's clearly not aligned. Adjusting the pot has very little effect between extremes, unlike green and red. The width coils won't budge, can't get them to turn at all.

I'm guessing I should look around for a new DA board just to get functioning width coils (or does anyone know of some trick to get them turning?). I'd also assume that with these adjustments functioning I could get the width problems cleared up as well. Could a faulty DA board cause the blue to barely change size between the two extremes of the width pot on the DB board?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have the exact same problem, I can get red and green to converge nicely but blue is a hair off at each side of the screen and the width control is maxed out. I have tried adjusting the DA board width controls, mine do move, but don't seem to do anything. Are these the big adjusters infront of where I had to move the wiring harnesses to flip from ceiling to table mount? Is the trick to just drop the master width control down a notch and move the PJ back a little more? Then maybe I'll have more range on the blue width controls?

·
Registered
243 Posts
The width coils are located on the DA board, in the back left. They are tuned by using a hexagonal plastic adjustment tool such as that included in radio shack kit 64-2230 (also includes a handy tool for adjusting convergance pots). These may be somewhat stiff, but you should be able to get them to turn with some gentle persuasion. On my 1000Q I had to turn these several complete revolutions to affect a major difference in width.

Rob

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
The width coils should never be forced as they are ceramic inside [ and never use a metal screwdriver on them - get the tool from the kit posted above by Rob ] .

-- I would center the width controls on the convergence board before touching the coils , then get as close as you can with the coils and do fine adjustment with the convergence board controls .

-- Sounds as if you both might have a distance issue , how far are each of you from the screen ?

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm at 129" from tube to screen. The part of my problem that really puzzles me is that from full left to full right on the blue horizontal width convergence pot, I get *maybe* and inch or two of size change on the projected 84" wide image onscreen. Is there a good source for parts at a reasonable price (considering this is such an inexpensive projector, it wouldn't take long to make a repair worth the cost)?

·
Registered
16,594 Posts
Dave ,

-- when you say 84" wide are you meaning total width or diagonal ?

-- this may be your problem , the default setting for these units is 80" width [ 100" diagonal 4:3 screen - 80" x 60" ] .

-- try going down to 80" and see if you can line it up ...

-- if you already have an 84" wide screen then you might have to adjust the spacers a bit .

--- Jason Berg

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can't go down to 80" at the distance I'm at (the 129" the manual states) due to the flakey blue. It will only move in that width area, an inch or two of adjustment only. I run into the problem that the green has no independent width convergence pot, it widens all tubes simultaneously (via the convergence pots, as the width coils absolutely won't budge). I'm sure I could around this if the width coils would turn, but they're simply stuck where they are for whatever reason.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.