Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas,

I think us 103X owners are gonna need our own forum soon ;).

Anyway, I've read that these things run really cool. Some have even suggested removing the fans. Mine, however, runs pretty hot. Not at the tubes, but near the control flap. Is this normal? It gets really hot after about an hour or so. It's always done this, so it hasn't been an issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Hmm, mine only gets hot on top of the access panel (just above the tubes). Yours is getting hot on the plastic door that covers the on/off switch and misc. controls? That does seem a bit odd to me. There are components of the power supply just below that area though.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey mike,

yeah, mine gets really hot over all the boards. I'm assuming then that the boards are also getting hot. If it's running for like an hour, I can't keep my hand on the top of the projector (table mounted) for too long (a few seconds).

This may warrant a new post, but in scenes where there is a lot of green or blue, the faces of people get this weird pink tint. You can see it shift in colour. It's kind of like placing unshielded speakers near a TV. Maybe something is messed up in the PJ that's causing this and the over heating. It could just be because I'm running composite (75ohm RJ6 - only 15 feet though), but I'm going to switch over to HTPC this weekend, so we'll see if it's just the composite input.

Should I avoid using it. It's been like this since day 1, and I use it quite a bit, and it hasn't died yet :). I just want to know if it may be a bigger problem.

I picked it up from Curt, so I'm sure he will help, but I thought I'd get some help here first. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Theres a pretty good size heat sink right in there, you cant miss it when you do convergence :)

Theres a reason its there fellas. I dont advise on removing the fans. There in there for a reason too. The fans in the 1031Q remove heat from the CRT cavity and there for makes an air stream through there venting the CRT's to keep them cooler. The unit is pretty quiet even with two fans.

The heatsink looks to be part of the convergence circut? I dont really know but it is big enough to remove the heat from the transistors rather then using another fan. I would expect to have heat in that area and for that fact any thing electronic that has a solid heatsink like that one!

NOTE: My 1031Q is running RGB(25 pin in) with a line doubler.

The unit gets warm I can put my hands on it and not get burned. I re-read your post and it sounds pretty bad. I cannot cook on my projector :)

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
I agree with Vic - while most of these projectors are over-engineered as they were mostly used in industrial/commercial settings, completely removing fans is probably not recommended.

A common practice around here is replacing fans with the model one step down in CFM throughput or putting in quieter fans from a different manufacturer.

Example: If your fans are made by NMB and rated for 70CFM, replacing them all with NMB fans at 50CFM will most likely be safe. Expecially if you're not running near the upper end of what the projector can do in terms of resolution and contrast output.

Be careful when replacing fans though... CFM's not the only thing to consider. Static pressure is considered even more important by many people... try searching around here for more info. There's lots of discussions on fan replacements.

Kal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.